Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Help Working of a computer of a car

I know this is off the wall and if I am in the wrong area please
direct me to the right one. I need to hind a paper or lecture or a
Schematic on the working intenal working of a computer.... It is
requiree for the Auto class.. I did not know where to go but
here,.. I could also use the schematic of the working of a
transmission I know tht it has some electronic working parts , but
what do I know I use to just repair tv in the day it was worth
having a repair shop..... any help in any area would be helpful thank
you

God Bless

John
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Nobody fixes onboard computers - there is just no support to do this and not
worth it in any event.(sort of like repairing TVs). It is only necessary to
know that there are regulated voltages that most the sensors run from,
Digital inputs and outputs all driven by some obscure intelligence. The main
focus in automobile diagnostics (these days) is being able to work with the
OBDII codes and interpret scan data. (always look for the root cause, not
just any phantom codes that may occur)
If you get hold of some of the factory shop manuals, they will often give
you the input schematic that the computer has. This is useful when trying to
diagnose a circuit so you know that the computer has a pull-up or pull-down
resistor. Outputs are shown as switches regardless of what techonlogy is
used. Again it should show only if the switch is sourcing or sinking
current. Outputs are often read back by the computer so that if a pull down
switch is active and the output is sensed at a float or high, an error
condition is registered.

the information I gave is based on my working with a Saturn L-Series 2001
shop manual. Hope that this helps and good luck in your course. you might
also check with a few of the automobile repair forums. Occasionally somebody
has some proprietary information that they may just share with you ;-)
Oppie

"John" wrote in message
8...
I know this is off the wall and if I am in the wrong area please
direct me to the right one. I need to hind a paper or lecture or a
Schematic on the working intenal working of a computer.... It is
requiree for the Auto class.. I did not know where to go but
here,.. I could also use the schematic of the working of a
transmission I know tht it has some electronic working parts , but
what do I know I use to just repair tv in the day it was worth
having a repair shop..... any help in any area would be helpful thank
you

God Bless

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John wrote:
I know this is off the wall and if I am in the wrong area please
direct me to the right one. I need to hind a paper or lecture or a
Schematic on the working intenal working of a computer.... It is
requiree for the Auto class.. I did not know where to go but
here,.. I could also use the schematic of the working of a
transmission I know tht it has some electronic working parts , but
what do I know I use to just repair tv in the day it was worth
having a repair shop..... any help in any area would be helpful thank
you

Would a block diagram do? Any data sheet for a processor
shows a block diagram for what is inside. Simple stand
alone processors are as close to a computer on a chip as
there is.

For example see page 12 of:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/41239D.pdf
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
bg bg is offline

Oppie wrote in message 1q6Pi.4100$ai2.2615@trndny05...
Nobody fixes onboard computers - there is just no support to do this and

not
worth it in any event.(sort of like repairing TVs).

If you buy a new computer, there is usually a core charge for the old one
because they do in fact rebuild and resell. I would expect that things like
the alternator/regulator circuitry which is contained in the ECM is a quick
fix and pretty profitable seeing as a new ECM usually runs a few hundred
dollars.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Very true - good point. The schematics and parts list are definitely not
public information though. Then there is the issue of re-flashing the
program which is even more obscure.

"bg" wrote in message ...

Oppie wrote in message 1q6Pi.4100$ai2.2615@trndny05...
Nobody fixes onboard computers - there is just no support to do this and

not
worth it in any event.(sort of like repairing TVs).

If you buy a new computer, there is usually a core charge for the old one
because they do in fact rebuild and resell. I would expect that things
like
the alternator/regulator circuitry which is contained in the ECM is a
quick
fix and pretty profitable seeing as a new ECM usually runs a few hundred
dollars.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
bg bg is offline

"bg" wrote in message

Oppie wrote in message 1q6Pi.4100$ai2.2615@trndny05...
Nobody fixes onboard computers - there is just no support to do this and

not
worth it in any event.(sort of like repairing TVs).

If you buy a new computer, there is usually a core charge for the old one
because they do in fact rebuild and resell. I would expect that things
like
the alternator/regulator circuitry which is contained in the ECM is a
quick
fix and pretty profitable seeing as a new ECM usually runs a few hundred
dollars.

I have a 15 year old truck with only 60k miles on it. I have been looking
into a new ECM, mostly because of the connector being weathered.
The aftermarket ECM's come without a ROM, you have to use your old one. I
guess there's copyright issues with the software.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"bg" wrote in message

[...]

Either that or thy are cheapening out so that they don't have to stock 20
different ECMs with different software for each model and year...

Hopefully the memory is socketed. Make a backup copy of the ROM if you can.
There also might be an aftermarket ROM which gives you some options.