Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
oppie oppie is offline

Default Help Working of a computer of a car

"bg" wrote in message ...

Oppie wrote in message 3DuPi.7198$pl2.2040@trndny07...
Very true - good point. The schematics and parts list are definitely not
public information though. Then there is the issue of re-flashing the
program which is even more obscure.

"bg" wrote in message

Oppie wrote in message 1q6Pi.4100$ai2.2615@trndny05...
Nobody fixes onboard computers - there is just no support to do this and
not
worth it in any event.(sort of like repairing TVs).

If you buy a new computer, there is usually a core charge for the old
one
because they do in fact rebuild and resell. I would expect that things
like
the alternator/regulator circuitry which is contained in the ECM is a
quick
fix and pretty profitable seeing as a new ECM usually runs a few hundred
dollars.

I have a 15 year old truck with only 60k miles on it. I have been looking
into a new ECM, mostly because of the connector being weathered.
The aftermarket ECM's come without a ROM, you have to use your old one. I
guess there's copyright issues with the software.

Either that or thy are cheapening out so that they don't have to stock 20
different ECMs with different software for each model and year...

Hopefully the memory is socketed. Make a backup copy of the ROM if you can.
There also might be an aftermarket ROM which gives you some options.