Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
bg bg is offline

Default Help Working of a computer of a car

Oppie wrote in message 3DuPi.7198$pl2.2040@trndny07...
Very true - good point. The schematics and parts list are definitely not
public information though. Then there is the issue of re-flashing the
program which is even more obscure.

"bg" wrote in message

Oppie wrote in message 1q6Pi.4100$ai2.2615@trndny05...
Nobody fixes onboard computers - there is just no support to do this and

not
worth it in any event.(sort of like repairing TVs).

If you buy a new computer, there is usually a core charge for the old one
because they do in fact rebuild and resell. I would expect that things
like
the alternator/regulator circuitry which is contained in the ECM is a
quick
fix and pretty profitable seeing as a new ECM usually runs a few hundred
dollars.

I have a 15 year old truck with only 60k miles on it. I have been looking
into a new ECM, mostly because of the connector being weathered.
The aftermarket ECM's come without a ROM, you have to use your old one. I
guess there's copyright issues with the software.