Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default The Kluge Prize

The only time I ever heard the word 'Kluge' was for a jury-rigged, temporary
quick fix for a circuit.
I subscribe to Kim Komando's tip of the day and today's 'cool site' was for
the library of congress. I was poking around and found the Kluge center...
not the type of kluge I was accustomed to.

Kluge Prize - Endowed by Library benefactor John W. Kluge, the Kluge Prize
rewards lifetime achievement in the study of humanity with focus on
disciplines not recognized by Nobel prizes.
http://www.loc.gov/loc/kluge/

ref: www.komando.com 'America's digital Goddess' LOL

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
The only time I ever heard the word 'Kluge' was for a jury-rigged, temporary
quick fix for a circuit.

Same here, although usually spelled "kludge."

I subscribe to Kim Komando's tip of the day...

Wow, she's still around, huh? I remember listening to her a few times on the
radio and was less-than-impressed when it seemed that any time she didn't
actually know the answer to a tough question regarding some piece of software
or hardware not working, she'd typically fall back on, "Mmm... sounds like it
might be a virus... have you updated your definitions lately?" "Yes? Oh,
well... sometimes you need to try a couple different anti-virus programs,
since each one doesn't catch anything. You might try downloading blah blah
blah..."

It reminded me of a former co-worker who always thought he was finding bugs in
the C compiler when, in actuality, he just had his own bugs to contend with.
He became so well known that we sometimes jokingly suggested to management
that one interview questions for programmers should be, "How many bugs have
you discovered in a compiler?" and if the answer was something like, "Dozens!"
we should stop the interview and show him the door. :-)

(Sorry for getting way off-topic here, but...) I have a friend where they do
sort of a "pre-interview" in the morning with candidates, take them out for
lunch, and if they're still looking good bring'em back in the afternoon to
meet with some of the more experienced people (team leaders, managers, etc. --
people whose time is somewhat more valuable); if not they simply let them go
home after lunch. Anyone else know of companies that do it this way?

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:40:55 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message
The only time I ever heard the word 'Kluge' was for a jury-rigged, temporary
quick fix for a circuit.

Same here, although usually spelled "kludge."

I subscribe to Kim Komando's tip of the day...

Wow, she's still around, huh?

Yep, she's right here in Phoenix and married to our leading right-wing
radio commentator, Barry Young (KFYI).

I remember listening to her a few times on the
radio and was less-than-impressed when it seemed that any time she didn't
actually know the answer to a tough question regarding some piece of software
or hardware not working, she'd typically fall back on, "Mmm... sounds like it
might be a virus... have you updated your definitions lately?" "Yes? Oh,
well... sometimes you need to try a couple different anti-virus programs,
since each one doesn't catch anything. You might try downloading blah blah
blah..."

[snip]

She's much better now-a-days... must have a staff of a hundred people
who test out everything new.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Yep, she's right here in Phoenix and married to our leading right-wing
radio commentator, Barry Young (KFYI).

Ah, interesting... says that she and her husband there are pricipal owners of
WestStar TalkRadio Network
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WestStar_TalkRadio_Network) out of Phoenix.

She's much better now-a-days... must have a staff of a hundred people
who test out everything new.

That's good to hear. The reviews were OK, it just seemed like her background
was somewhat superficial, i.e., not as well-versed in Windows (etc.) as, say,
your average IT administrator at a small university much less, say, the chief
IT guy at Google, Amazon or Microsquish.

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message
"Oppie" wrote in message
The only time I ever heard the word 'Kluge' was for a jury-rigged,
temporary quick fix for a circuit.

Same here, although usually spelled "kludge."

Now that I think about it, you are right. Dictionary.com though cites
several references that use either spelling Kludge or kluge.
===========================
kludge: [klooj] noun- Computer Slang.
a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient,
clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or
performing a particular task.

Also, kluge.

[Origin: 1960-65; expressive coinage]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
===========================
On the 'digital goddess,' my brother (a MCSE) sends me some of her tips from
time to time. Most are interesting if not immediately useful...so I
subscribed. Big difference between doing a call-in show having to scramble
for an answer and writing a column where you have time to research.or just
fake it either way

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:02:25 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Yep, she's right here in Phoenix and married to our leading right-wing
radio commentator, Barry Young (KFYI).

Ah, interesting... says that she and her husband there are pricipal owners of
WestStar TalkRadio Network
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WestStar_TalkRadio_Network) out of Phoenix.

She's much better now-a-days... must have a staff of a hundred people
who test out everything new.

That's good to hear. The reviews were OK, it just seemed like her background
was somewhat superficial, i.e., not as well-versed in Windows (etc.) as, say,
your average IT administrator at a small university much less, say, the chief
IT guy at Google, Amazon or Microsquish.

---Joel

IIRC her background is in _sales_, for IBM ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:02:25 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
.. .
On the 'digital goddess,' my brother (a MCSE) sends me some of her tips from
time to time. Most are interesting if not immediately useful...so I
subscribed. Big difference between doing a call-in show having to scramble
for an answer and writing a column where you have time to research.or just
fake it either way

Oh yeah, I agree with that -- even people who are very good at what they do
may not be so great at being able to divine what someone's problem in the 2
minutes that a call-in show provides.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

IIRC her background is in _sales_, for IBM ;-)

The website said Unisys.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
[...]

How can she be 'digital' if they have a son? That sounds like
analog, to me! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:03:12 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

IIRC her background is in _sales_, for IBM ;-)

The website said Unisys.

OK, I stand corrected. Just remembering from wa-a-a-ay back.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

IIRC her background is in _sales_, for IBM ;-)

The website said Unisys.

OK, I stand corrected. Just remembering from wa-a-a-ay back.

No problem. It's not often that I get a chance to correct you. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
On the 'digital goddess,' my brother (a MCSE) sends me some of her tips
from
time to time. Most are interesting if not immediately useful...so I
subscribed. Big difference between doing a call-in show having to
scramble
for an answer and writing a column where you have time to research.or
just
fake it either way

How can she be 'digital' if they have a son? That sounds like
analog, to me! ;-)

'Cause "mixed-signal goddess" just doesn't get the right kind of PR grin

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
On the 'digital goddess,' my brother (a MCSE) sends me some of her tips
from
time to time. Most are interesting if not immediately useful...so I
subscribed. Big difference between doing a call-in show having to
scramble
for an answer and writing a column where you have time to research.or
just
fake it either way

How can she be 'digital' if they have a son? That sounds like
analog, to me! ;-)

'Cause "mixed-signal goddess" just doesn't get the right kind of PR grin

That kind of depends on the project, and the impending deadline,
doesn't it?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
The only time I ever heard the word 'Kluge' was for a jury-rigged,
temporary quick fix for a circuit.

Same here, although usually spelled "kludge."

Not if you mean "clooge", it's not. "Kludge" rhymes with "sludge".

Cheers!
Rich

Quasimod just won a prize for silencing The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 0 April 1st 06 08:42 PM
Consolation prize Olebiker Woodworking 1 November 16th 04 03:04 PM
Well OT - Any more prize winners out there? Frisket UK diy 21 July 22nd 03 08:14 PM