Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Quick ESR answer needed

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:56:03 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

"The Phantom" wrote in message
.. .
http://emcesd.com/tt020100.htm

Thanks for the link, Phantom.

John -- since you're not exactly enamored with Howard Johnson, do you have an
opinion on Doug Smith there? I met him once and he seems to be considerably
more "hands on" than Howard is. (That picture on his web site looks about 10
years old though!)

---Joel

He seems OK, but not earth-shaking or anything; as you say, very
practical. And thank Goodness he doesn't wear those drecky
turtlenecks.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

John Larkin wrote:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:50:38 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:38:09 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 07:11:54 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:42:47 -0700, The Phantom
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:51:38 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

At what frequency? That makes a big difference.

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

If frequency makes a difference then isn't it "ESL" rather than ESR?

Application has capacitor charged to +1.8V, it is then connected (4ns
full-on connect time) thru a 1.5 Ohm "strap" to -1.8V.

In other words, over 2A peak current.

...Jim Thompson

Tricky. Assuming a 1 ns risetime, 4 volts available, only 2 nH or so
will get you into trouble. A cap and its leads will get you to about 2
nH, then there's all your wirebonds, not to mention the load itself.

Face-down ball bonded. ~0.5nH connections.

We usually parallel several caps, on a lot of copper, to supply a lot
of fast peak current, like through a gaasfet to drive an SRD or a
laser.

(Gotta get ready for a Board meeting. What a nuisance.)

John

Me, my wife and my oldest daughter ARE the board... no nuisance ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I wasn't bad: Plant tour, 10 minutes; shareholders' meeting, 5
minutes; board meeting, 35 minutes; lunch at Zuni Cafe, 1 hour.

You mean, no trek down to Gordon Biersch's in the evening?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

No, too hoppy for my taste. But my attorney's office (he's a board
member) is just a couple of blocks from GB. He's in the penthouse of
the building at Mission and the Embarcadero, above Boulevard
Restaurant. We're sort of his hobby.

Yeah, here it is:

http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/nat1979000528.asp

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Ever tried their Maerzen? Just don't drive after a couple of those.

Yeah, here it is:

http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/nat1979000528.asp

Nice digs! I guess his hourly rate is quite a bit higher than that of
engineers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Hello John,

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

While I was waiting for The Board to show up, I cobbled up this:

http://s2.supload.com/free/Setup.JPG/view/

http://s2.supload.com/free/Ramp.JPG/view/

That server tries some nasty pop-ups. Ricocheted off here, but others
might not be so lucky.

It's a 0.1 uF, 0805 cap soldered across a 50 ohm transmission line.
It's being driven from (we pause for this commercial message...)

http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/P400DS.html

which is setup for 5 volts out, 50 ohms, so it's dumping a 100 mA step
into the cap with about a 1 ns risetime. The scope bandwidth is 20
GHz.

What's the ballpark s.e.d. discount price for that one? I am using the
old Philips PM5785B for stuff like this and it's fine for me. But I have
a client who may need to generate test pulses with less jitter than the
Philips can do. How much oomph can you get out of that optional 50V
output? We'd need more than 5V, sometimes a lot more.

The first glitch is L di/dt, roughly estimated as 1.5 nH.
Extrapolating the slope back to the start gives very roughly 20
milliohms, but it's hard to resolve that small a resistance with this
rig. The glitch at about 10 ns is a cable reflection.

This cap is pretty much a dead short in the, say, 3 ns time frame.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

I've only been to Boulevard once, and it was fabulous, but I'm
scheduled there for my next birthday. They do have $3000 bottles of
wine on the list. During the dot.com days, they discovered that the
more they charged for a wine, the more people ordered it. In the year
2000, it was Ground Zero for web-head recruitment dinners.

Yeah, here it is:

http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/nat1979000528.asp

Nice digs! I guess his hourly rate is quite a bit higher than that of
engineers.

$400 or something like that.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:49:36 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Hello John,

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

While I was waiting for The Board to show up, I cobbled up this:

http://s2.supload.com/free/Setup.JPG/view/

http://s2.supload.com/free/Ramp.JPG/view/

That server tries some nasty pop-ups. Ricocheted off here, but others
might not be so lucky.

[snip]

No such problems here (Firefox v2.0.0.6).

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

I guess they must have really suffered when the dot-com bubble popped.

Yeah, here it is:

http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/nat1979000528.asp

Nice digs! I guess his hourly rate is quite a bit higher than that of
engineers.

$400 or something like that.

Ouch. My attorney is around $250 but this is in the country, east of
Sacramento.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Hello John,

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

While I was waiting for The Board to show up, I cobbled up this:

http://s2.supload.com/free/Setup.JPG/view/

http://s2.supload.com/free/Ramp.JPG/view/

That server tries some nasty pop-ups. Ricocheted off here, but others
might not be so lucky.

[snip]

No such problems here (Firefox v2.0.0.6).

I didn't have any here but you can see the attempts. Only web sites on
the more rough-and-tumble side do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Hello John,

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

While I was waiting for The Board to show up, I cobbled up this:

http://s2.supload.com/free/Setup.JPG/view/

http://s2.supload.com/free/Ramp.JPG/view/

That server tries some nasty pop-ups. Ricocheted off here, but others
might not be so lucky.

Oh. I've never seen their popups, just a few static ads. I'm using
Firefox.

It's a 0.1 uF, 0805 cap soldered across a 50 ohm transmission line.
It's being driven from (we pause for this commercial message...)

http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/P400DS.html

which is setup for 5 volts out, 50 ohms, so it's dumping a 100 mA step
into the cap with about a 1 ns risetime. The scope bandwidth is 20
GHz.

What's the ballpark s.e.d. discount price for that one? I am using the
old Philips PM5785B for stuff like this and it's fine for me. But I have
a client who may need to generate test pulses with less jitter than the
Philips can do. How much oomph can you get out of that optional 50V
output? We'd need more than 5V, sometimes a lot more.

List price is $3840, with options for OCXO, Ethernet, and stuff like
that. Jitter for short delays is around 6 ps RMS, increasing to 10's
of ps for long delays. The HV option is $600, and puts 50 volts into
50 ohms with risetime about 1.8 ns. I did this with 2N7002's! I can
email a manual to anybody who's interested.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

List price is $3840, with options for OCXO, Ethernet, and stuff like
that. Jitter for short delays is around 6 ps RMS, increasing to 10's
of ps for long delays. The HV option is $600, and puts 50 volts into
50 ohms with risetime about 1.8 ns. I did this with 2N7002's! I can
email a manual to anybody who's interested.

I like that classy fluorescent display. Yes, I'd be interested in a manual:

jsc
at ieee dot org

(that one is less typing than my biz email address)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Good deal! All I got for my birthday (the 5th) was my wallet
disappeared with all my ID, and $150 in cash, which was most of my food
money for this month.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

When I was in my mid 20's I saw Carol Doda in her swing, and fell in
love... at least the lower part of my anatomy did ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:49:36 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

List price is $3840, with options for OCXO, Ethernet, and stuff like
that. Jitter for short delays is around 6 ps RMS, increasing to 10's
of ps for long delays. The HV option is $600, and puts 50 volts into
50 ohms with risetime about 1.8 ns. I did this with 2N7002's! I can
email a manual to anybody who's interested.

John,
I'm interested in a manual too.
to tschaggelar (at) dplanet (dot) ch

Rene
Spilchbüel 1, 8342 Wernetshausen, Switzerland
ph. ++41 55 266 19 66 & ++41 44 937 23 67
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

I made a business trip to HP in Cupertino, with my bosses, in roughly
the early 1970's, and we went to see Carol at the Condor. I didn't
care too much for her body, preferring ballerina types myself, but she
was actually very talented and her show was a lot of fun. The nasty
parts were projected on a screen behind her, because full live nudity
wasn't allowed in places that sold drinks. That's still the law here,
maybe, I think.

The HP computer group was in a beautiful low glass building in the
middle of a peach orchard. I drove by last year and barely recognized
it... now surrounded by Burger Kings and car dealers and motels and
crap.

John