John Rumm

James Salisbury wrote:

I noticed that some grout was loose in my en-suite shower... I then noticed
that the two tilese below this were slightly loose, took them off and
http://www.salisbury.org.uk/DSC_0002.jpg was the result... What is the
quickest way of fixing this, so I can save up to do it all properly, looks
like the wall was made of plasterboard on a wooden frame and then a board
that is now looking like plaster coloured haggis was fixed to the
plasterboard. It was then tiled over.

As you said, it looks like a stud wall with PB and then plaster skim on
it.... Not a good choice for a shower.

The tile adhesive has also not been applied correctly for a shower (it
should have been a thin skim (3mm thick) of waterproof adhesive with
ridges on top rather than just the ridges on the back board.

How should I fix this in the short IE tomorrow! term an the long term?

Quick fix: file the hole with some more plasterboard or a bit of ply.
Don't bother to re-skim, just level up with a good waterproof adhesive
and fix the tiles on again. You won't be able to get the right thickness
of adhesive on the right hand tile - so that one will be no better off
than before.

Longer term, this does need fixing since there is a fair chance that
water is getting through in other places. Hence there is a risk of it
feeding dry rot etc.

To fix for good:

You will need to replace the backboard with something that is not
absorbent, so either WBP ply with render over, or use one of the cement
type ready made boards like Aquapanel that are designed for wet service
areas.

It is handy if you can arrange that the wall surface runs down *on* to
the tray (i.e. not beside it). Seal round the tray with good silicone.
Now retile using a full bed of adhesive and then grout with waterproof
grout. Treat with something like Lithofin grout protector to keep it
looking nice and add yet more water resistance. Finally silicone all the
joins (I prefer to silicone the vertical corner joint between the tiles
rather than grout it - that way it is better able to resist any movement
that may occur).

Here is one I did earlier:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/shower.htm

Also where can I get a replacement Silavent fan?

Don't know.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
James Salisbury wrote:

[...]

How about quick fix: white duct tape?
John Rumm

Rob Morley wrote:

How about quick fix: white duct tape?

In fact, of you only need it to last a week or two, then that and a bit
of plastic sheet ought to do the job nicely! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

James Salisbury

"James Salisbury" wrote in message
Hi,

I noticed that some grout was loose in my en-suite shower... I then
noticed that the two tilese below this were slightly loose, took them off
and http://www.salisbury.org.uk/DSC_0002.jpg was the result... What is
the quickest way of fixing this, so I can save up to do it all properly,
looks like the wall was made of plasterboard on a wooden frame and then a
board that is now looking like plaster coloured haggis was fixed to the
plasterboard. It was then tiled over.

How should I fix this in the short IE tomorrow! term an the long term?

Also where can I get a replacement Silavent fan?

Hi all,

I have fixed my system clock....

I have removed more tiles and loose plaster and found where the water was
getting in. It is a mira 415 and there was a cracked tile under the bezell.

The general game plan is to infill with 2 sheets of 9mm wbp and tile ontop
of that, takeing great care to seal round the 415. This should buy me a
little time..

I noticed in B&Q there is now a plastic tile sheet for showers, but looks
like proper tiles when in place, comments anyone?

Thanks