DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   Quick ESR answer needed (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/210905-quick-esr-answer-needed.html)

Jim Thompson August 14th 07 05:51 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Kevin Aylward[_2_] August 14th 07 06:07 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

Jim Thompson wrote:
Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

Ceramic, I say in the 10m to 50m range.

--
Kevin Aylward

Joerg August 14th 07 06:41 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

Jim Thompson wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

Much lower IME, more in the range Kevin gave but it depends on the
frequency. I guess your client would want a somewhat more "official"
story about it, so here goes (the MLC versus Tantalum shoot-out):

http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/techinfo/mlc-tant.pdf

Ahem, you wouldn't think about counting on the ESR for a loop design,
would ya? No, can't be ....

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Lynn Richardson August 14th 07 07:11 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:51:38 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

Sounds about right for a Z5U dielectric low volt cap. These things are the pits.
Terrible temp and voltage curves with lots of microphonics and absorbtion. All
they are 'good' for is power filtering at the vcc terminals of ICs.

John Larkin August 14th 07 07:27 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:41:32 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

Much lower IME, more in the range Kevin gave but it depends on the
frequency. I guess your client would want a somewhat more "official"
story about it, so here goes (the MLC versus Tantalum shoot-out):

http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/techinfo/mlc-tant.pdf

Ahem, you wouldn't think about counting on the ESR for a loop design,
would ya? No, can't be ....

Bet he's designing a chip with built-in LDO!

I like the National AnyCap idea, an internal dominant pole that's
merely increased by external capacitance, not cascaded with it.
Basically, it's Miller capacitance off the output pin.

John

Joerg August 14th 07 07:39 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

Much lower IME, more in the range Kevin gave but it depends on the
frequency. I guess your client would want a somewhat more "official"
story about it, so here goes (the MLC versus Tantalum shoot-out):

http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/techinfo/mlc-tant.pdf

Ahem, you wouldn't think about counting on the ESR for a loop design,
would ya? No, can't be ....

Bet he's designing a chip with built-in LDO!

Sounds like as much fun as repairing a dry-rot problem.

I like the National AnyCap idea, an internal dominant pole that's
merely increased by external capacitance, not cascaded with it.
Basically, it's Miller capacitance off the output pin.

I think that's Analog Devices. Anyhow, yes, you can buy good LDOs but
for the privilege of having one that doesn't throw the occasional
tantrum you have to pay extra. "Oh, you want a car that doesn't have a
wobble at 65mph? Ok, but it'll cost ya."

As far as I am concerned I avoid LDOs like the plague.

john jardine[_2_] August 14th 07 08:46 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

"PeteS" wrote in message
Jim Thompson wrote:
Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

About a hundredth of that.

2 milliohm is reasonable provided the device is rated at 10V. If it's
rated at 6V, then figure about 10 milliohm.

Cheers

PeteS

Just measured one to hand.
100nF, Y5V, 25kHz, 5ohm.
1kHz 55ohm.
(for comparison, a 100nF poly' gave 8ohm at 1kHz)

Looks like I always end up at the cheap tat end of the market :)

John Larkin August 14th 07 09:35 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:46:03 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Thompson wrote:
Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

About a hundredth of that.

2 milliohm is reasonable provided the device is rated at 10V. If it's
rated at 6V, then figure about 10 milliohm.

Cheers

PeteS

Just measured one to hand.
100nF, Y5V, 25kHz, 5ohm.
1kHz 55ohm.
(for comparison, a 100nF poly' gave 8ohm at 1kHz)

Those numbers seem extreme, high by 2 or 3 orders of magnitude. How
did you measure them?

John

Jim Thompson August 14th 07 11:18 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

Much lower IME, more in the range Kevin gave but it depends on the
frequency. I guess your client would want a somewhat more "official"
story about it, so here goes (the MLC versus Tantalum shoot-out):

http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/techinfo/mlc-tant.pdf

Ahem, you wouldn't think about counting on the ESR for a loop design,
would ya? No, can't be ....

Bet he's designing a chip with built-in LDO!

Nope. Dumping said capacitor into a 1.5 Ohm load using a PMOS/NMOS
totem pole that uses up 1/3 of the chip :-(

Joerg August 14th 07 11:27 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

Much lower IME, more in the range Kevin gave but it depends on the
frequency. I guess your client would want a somewhat more "official"
story about it, so here goes (the MLC versus Tantalum shoot-out):

http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/techinfo/mlc-tant.pdf

Ahem, you wouldn't think about counting on the ESR for a loop design,
would ya? No, can't be ....

Bet he's designing a chip with built-in LDO!

Nope. Dumping said capacitor into a 1.5 Ohm load using a PMOS/NMOS
totem pole that uses up 1/3 of the chip :-(

Hopefully this one can run on a cheap process then.

PeteS[_2_] August 15th 07 01:01 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

Sounds about right for a Z5U dielectric low volt cap. These things are the pits.
Terrible temp and voltage curves with lots of microphonics and absorbtion. All
they are 'good' for is power filtering at the vcc terminals of ICs.

With ESRs like that, they aren't even good for that.

Cheers

PeteS

Phil Allison August 15th 07 01:17 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

"John Larkin"
"john jardine"

Just measured one to hand.
100nF, Y5V, 25kHz, 5ohm.
1kHz 55ohm.
(for comparison, a 100nF poly' gave 8ohm at 1kHz)

Those numbers seem extreme, high by 2 or 3 orders of magnitude. How
did you measure them?

** With one of these maybe ?

http://www.m3electronix.com/featureslcr.html

Told us he owned one back on July 17.

God knows how he got those mad results.

........ Phil

john jardine[_2_] August 15th 07 01:21 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:46:03 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Thompson wrote:
Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson
About a hundredth of that.

2 milliohm is reasonable provided the device is rated at 10V. If it's
rated at 6V, then figure about 10 milliohm.

Cheers

PeteS

Just measured one to hand.
100nF, Y5V, 25kHz, 5ohm.
1kHz 55ohm.
(for comparison, a 100nF poly' gave 8ohm at 1kHz)

Those numbers seem extreme, high by 2 or 3 orders of magnitude. How
did you measure them?

John

Measured on a bit of kit I bought last week.
http://www.mwinstruments.com/MW1008/MW1008_f.html
Cheap but very handy. It measures the component impedance and VI phase
displacement. All other secondary components such as LCR are then derived
mathematically.
Just for comparison I checked a part I can trace. It's a 470n open frame
Polyester, EPCOS part #B32560J1474K. The data sheet states a loss factor of
0.008 at 1kHz.
The meter (test at 1kHz) shows D=0.0046, L=475.6nF, Series R=1.55ohms.
The values tie up nicely.

(Had assumed most people would be equipped with fancy HP analyzers and would
have posted a measurement or two but haven't see anything come in yet.)

John Larkin August 15th 07 01:58 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 01:21:23 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:46:03 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

All those numbers sound very weird to me. And you can't calculate ESR
from a single-frequency vector impedance measurement. The polyester
loss is most likely dielectric absorption, which does not translate to
esr.

I just measured an axial-lead 0.1 uF ceramic cap directly, by applying
a current pulse and observing the voltage waveform. It's showing about
50 milliohms, but that's close to my resolution limit.

John

PeteS[_2_] August 15th 07 02:08 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

john jardine wrote:
"PeteS" wrote in message
Jim Thompson wrote:
Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

About a hundredth of that.

2 milliohm is reasonable provided the device is rated at 10V. If it's
rated at 6V, then figure about 10 milliohm.

Cheers

PeteS

Just measured one to hand.
100nF, Y5V, 25kHz, 5ohm.
1kHz 55ohm.
(for comparison, a 100nF poly' gave 8ohm at 1kHz)

Looks like I always end up at the cheap tat end of the market :)

Well, I don't use anything worse than X7R right now which is where I get
my numbers from. The cheaper stuff will always have worse numbers, of
course ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Joerg August 15th 07 02:20 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
. ..

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:46:03 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
t...

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

And it isn't necessarily linear either. When I was a kid I thought I had
it all figured out with RF power stuff. Measured the ESR of a largish
cap at 21MHz, the frequency where I needed it. Assumed it would remain
constant regardless of current level. Yeah, right. Calculated the
dissipation this would cause, lots of margin, nothing would get hot
here. Or so I thought. Soldered it in place and about five minutes into
using it ... KABLOUIE! Molten stuff all over the place.

BTW, just curious, does your TDS2024 also lack delayed trigger? My
Instek 2204 does, and so do lots of others. Shook my head when I found out.

Phil Allison August 15th 07 02:25 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

"john jardine"

Just for comparison I checked a part I can trace. It's a 470n open frame
Polyester, EPCOS part #B32560J1474K. The data sheet states a loss factor
of
0.008 at 1kHz.
The meter (test at 1kHz) shows D=0.0046, L=475.6nF, Series R=1.55ohms.
The values tie up nicely.

** The published data for that same cap shows it has an impedance minimum at
just over 3 MHz of 33 milliohms.

......... Phil

John Larkin August 15th 07 04:40 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I was thinking of the National C-load opamps, like the LM8261.

John

John Larkin August 15th 07 04:45 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:46:03 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
et...

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

No delayed trigger, and only as much memory as fills the screen. We
have a bigger one, 500 MHz, forget the model number, that has more
memory and delay.

John

The Phantom August 15th 07 07:42 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

At what frequency? That makes a big difference.

Phil Allison August 15th 07 07:50 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

"The Phantom"
Jim Thompson

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

At what frequency? That makes a big difference.

** Not to the minimum impedance the cap can exhibit - which is the series
resistance that counts for supply bypass and filtering applications.

No one is too bothered about di-electric losses for that as they only help !

........ Phil

Joerg August 15th 07 08:02 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

m...

wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
news:IcSdncGmicnHYVzbnZ2dnUVZ8vidnZ2d@pipex. net...

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Why on earth didn't they provide delayed trigger? It's so easy ....

banging head on table

In single channel the TDS2024 should yield about five times the screen.
But that ain't enough for me which is one reason why I bought the Instek
(has 25K memory). At least that gets me to 25usec single channel. Still
drooling over the 1M or so of the Hameg 2008 but it's just too large in
size.

Jim Thompson August 15th 07 03:11 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

At what frequency? That makes a big difference.

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

If frequency makes a difference then isn't it "ESL" rather than ESR?

Application has capacitor charged to +1.8V, it is then connected (4ns
full-on connect time) thru a 1.5 Ohm "strap" to -1.8V.

In other words, over 2A peak current.

...Jim Thompson

The Phantom August 15th 07 03:55 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:46:03 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Why not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equival...ies_resistance

The Phantom August 15th 07 04:29 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

At what frequency? That makes a big difference.

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

If frequency makes a difference then isn't it "ESL" rather than ESR?

ESR (with the meaning as used by the capacitor manufacturers) does vary
with frequency. See: http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/techinfo/mlc-tant.pdf

Of course, capacitors have an ESL as well as an ESR (the E stands for
Equivalent, which means a simple model), and the *impedance* of the
capacitor is dominated by ESL above the series resonant frequency.

The Kemet folks show the impedance vs. frequency characteristic for their
various MLC's in this file:
http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kechome.nsf/weben/B3D6942FD742E4A5CA2570A500160908/$file/F3102_CerPerChar.pdf

Given the short connect time, 4ns, of your application it looks like you
will care about the (typical) capacitor's impedance well above series
resonance, which will probably be dominated by ESL. You might want to use
a COG dielectric.

John Larkin August 15th 07 04:30 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:46:03 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Well, it depends on your definition of "equivalent." Certainly you can
measure the vector impedance at some frequency and razzle-dazzle some
equations and come up with both an "equivalent" series resistance or,
if you prefer, an "equivalent" shunt resistance. Somebody here just
did that and got 800+ ohms ESR for a ceramic cap.

But that "ESR" is absolutely meaningless for, say, designing a bypass
system or compensating a switching regulator, because it's about
10,000 or so times the true series resistance. And the equivalent
shunt resistance is even-worse useless if you're doing DC design,
because it's maybe a million times off of being predictive of real
leakage current.

So, OK, I was wrong: you can certainly do the calculation, or let some
fancy instrument do it for you, and display it to 5 digits of
precision, and that's fine for people who don't mind being off by 4 to
6 orders of magnitude.

About the only thing a single-frequency ESR measurement does is sort
of predict how the cap will work *at that frequency*

John

John Larkin August 15th 07 04:38 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

At what frequency? That makes a big difference.

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

If frequency makes a difference then isn't it "ESL" rather than ESR?

Application has capacitor charged to +1.8V, it is then connected (4ns
full-on connect time) thru a 1.5 Ohm "strap" to -1.8V.

In other words, over 2A peak current.

...Jim Thompson

Tricky. Assuming a 1 ns risetime, 4 volts available, only 2 nH or so
will get you into trouble. A cap and its leads will get you to about 2
nH, then there's all your wirebonds, not to mention the load itself.

We usually parallel several caps, on a lot of copper, to supply a lot
of fast peak current, like through a gaasfet to drive an SRD or a
laser.

(Gotta get ready for a Board meeting. What a nuisance.)

John

Jim Thompson August 15th 07 04:50 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

At what frequency? That makes a big difference.

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

...Jim Thompson

If frequency makes a difference then isn't it "ESL" rather than ESR?

Application has capacitor charged to +1.8V, it is then connected (4ns
full-on connect time) thru a 1.5 Ohm "strap" to -1.8V.

In other words, over 2A peak current.

...Jim Thompson

Tricky. Assuming a 1 ns risetime, 4 volts available, only 2 nH or so
will get you into trouble. A cap and its leads will get you to about 2
nH, then there's all your wirebonds, not to mention the load itself.

Face-down ball bonded. ~0.5nH connections.

We usually parallel several caps, on a lot of copper, to supply a lot
of fast peak current, like through a gaasfet to drive an SRD or a
laser.

(Gotta get ready for a Board meeting. What a nuisance.)

John

Me, my wife and my oldest daughter ARE the board... no nuisance ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Joerg August 15th 07 05:21 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

[...]

Same here, but no daughter.

Leo[_2_] August 15th 07 08:00 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

John,

A bit off this topic, I saw a post where you talk about 11801 ("When you
start getting powerup timebase errors, which you will, call
me.") I have an 11801 that has this problem. Would you be able to help me
fix it?

Thank you,
Leo

The Phantom August 15th 07 08:48 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
m...
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:46:03 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Of course it does. I have been explaining the definition used by the
capacitor manufacturers. It's the only (resistance; ESL is another number)
number you will find in their specs, and they get it by simple measurement.

Certainly you can
measure the vector impedance at some frequency and razzle-dazzle some
equations and come up with both an "equivalent" series resistance

That's just what they do, and if a person wants to make sense of their
numbers, he should realize how they got them.

if you prefer, an "equivalent" shunt resistance. Somebody here just
did that and got 800+ ohms ESR for a ceramic cap.

I provided that number, and it would accurately tell you the dissipation
in that capacitor if it were handling a 20 Hz current.

But that "ESR" is absolutely meaningless for, say, designing a bypass
system

It's not meaningless at all. The ESR at a given frequency, for example
120 Hz, tells you just how much power is dissipated in the capacitor for a
given ripple current (assuming the fundamental is 120 Hz. The harmonics
contribute some heat in a typical 120 Hz power supply, but the fundamental
dominates). In a switcher, the ripple current is typically trapezoidal and
the magnitude of the fundamental ripple frequency is still dominant; the
ESR at that frequency gives a good first cut at the dissipation in the
capacitor.

Look at the ripple current ratings of these capacitors:
http://www.cde.com/catalogs/066.pdf

Notice how the ripple current rating is less at lower frequencies.
That's because the ESR increases at low frequencies. The ESR determines
how much heating the ripple current will cause, and it tells it accurately
because the ESR includes all the losses in the capacitor.

or compensating a switching regulator, because it's about
10,000 or so times the true series resistance.

This is only true at very low audio frequencies. Up around switching
regulator frequencies, it's probably quite close to the true series
resistance (R1 in your model).

And the equivalent
shunt resistance is even-worse useless if you're doing DC design,
because it's maybe a million times off of being predictive of real
leakage current.

This is why I asked in another post how we would define DC ESR. It
doesn't make sense at DC, and it's never given at DC. At low audio
frequencies it's defined the same way it's defined at higher frequencies.
It's the real part of the impedance measured at a given frequency.

The model you gave is well known, and it's a good tool for design, but
it's not what the manufacturers give you. You will have to derive it
yourself from a series of measurements, as you said.

So, OK, I was wrong: you can certainly do the calculation, or let some
fancy instrument do it for you, and display it to 5 digits of
precision, and that's fine for people who don't mind being off by 4 to
6 orders of magnitude.

About the only thing a single-frequency ESR measurement does is sort
of predict how the cap will work *at that frequency*

And this is quite useful in those situations where the ripple current has
a dominant fundamental component, such as in power supply applications. It
tells you what the heating in the cap will be with fair accuracy. In fact,
the error from neglecting the harmonics is probably less that the error
from neglecting the variance in the ESR at a given frequency in a group of
capacitors nominally the same.

Of course, there will be applications where the harmonics are important,
and then the designer will have to derive the more complicated and more
accurate model. But this doesn't detract from the usefulness of the plain
old ESR model in many other cases.

John

John Larkin August 15th 07 10:58 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

Quick ESR answer needed...

Typical 0.22uF ceramic in low voltage application (5V max), what ESR
might I expect?

Client says 0.2 Ohms

I doubt that number, but don't have anything to base my doubt on.

What say yee all?

While I was waiting for The Board to show up, I cobbled up this:

http://s2.supload.com/free/Setup.JPG/view/

http://s2.supload.com/free/Ramp.JPG/view/

It's a 0.1 uF, 0805 cap soldered across a 50 ohm transmission line.
It's being driven from (we pause for this commercial message...)

http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/P400DS.html

which is setup for 5 volts out, 50 ohms, so it's dumping a 100 mA step
into the cap with about a 1 ns risetime. The scope bandwidth is 20
GHz.

The first glitch is L di/dt, roughly estimated as 1.5 nH.
Extrapolating the slope back to the start gives very roughly 20
milliohms, but it's hard to resolve that small a resistance with this
rig. The glitch at about 10 ns is a cable reflection.

This cap is pretty much a dead short in the, say, 3 ns time frame.

John

John Larkin August 15th 07 11:04 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:00:47 -0400, "Leo" wrote:

John,

A bit off this topic, I saw a post where you talk about 11801 ("When you
start getting powerup timebase errors, which you will, call
me.") I have an 11801 that has this problem. Would you be able to help me
fix it?

Thank you,
Leo

If you email me privately, I'll tell you what it probably is and how
to fix it. But promise me you won't spread it around publicly... I
just got a dead 11801A on ebay for $300, and if everybody learns this
trick, they'll all go back up to $3K.

What sort of sampling heads do you have?

John

The Phantom August 15th 07 11:39 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

[...]

A detailed description of this technique is to be found at:

http://emcesd.com/tt020100.htm

Joel Kolstad August 15th 07 11:56 PM

Quick ESR answer needed

"The Phantom" wrote in message
http://emcesd.com/tt020100.htm

Thanks for the link, Phantom.

John -- since you're not exactly enamored with Howard Johnson, do you have an
opinion on Doug Smith there? I met him once and he seems to be considerably
more "hands on" than Howard is. (That picture on his web site looks about 10
years old though!)

---Joel

Harry Dellamano August 16th 07 12:18 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 01:21:23 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
om...
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:46:03 +0100, "john jardine"
wrote:

"PeteS" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Go to this link and download SpiCap 3.0 in the software section.
http://www.avxcorp.com/prodinfo_catlist.asp?ParentID=1
Enter in your favorite cap and dielectric, vary the frequency as you watch
the ESR change. Most fun I have had with my cloths on in a long time. See
that ESL does not change with frequency. That is why we do not use large MLC
caps to do AC line filtering, they will let the smoke out.
Regards,
Harry

Leo[_2_] August 16th 07 01:24 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

John,

I'll not spread it around. I just got mine (11801A) for about the same
price, but it has an error on power-up. I would like to use for measuring
the input impedance of the microstrip antennas.

I have an old sd-24 sampling head (hopefully working one).

what is your email?

Thanks,
Leo

leomats at gmail.com

The Phantom August 16th 07 03:52 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:56:03 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

"The Phantom" wrote in message
.. .
http://emcesd.com/tt020100.htm

Thanks for the link, Phantom.

Another one well worth looking at is:

http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/Catalogs/smpsas&p.pdf

John Larkin August 16th 07 04:30 AM

Quick ESR answer needed

wrote:

[...]

I wasn't bad: Plant tour, 10 minutes; shareholders' meeting, 5
minutes; board meeting, 35 minutes; lunch at Zuni Cafe, 1 hour.

Chairman John