J T

Default INSTRUCTIONS - Finding Books

OK, I know this won't do a lot of good, but maybe for a few
minutes.

I constantly see people posting about books here, which ones to
get, where to get them. You'd think they were in about the 3d grade.
Hell, even school kids know about the library.

Don't ask somebody what book you should get. Make up your own
mind. First thing, go to a library, a book store, a used book store,
flea market, anywhere there's books. Look thru the book, see if it's
something you'd be interested enough in to buy. THEN buy it. I get
most of my books from a used book store. They're very inexpensive, and
often in as new condition. It's not unusual to pay $5 for a book that
sellf for $35 at Barnes and Noble, and looks like new.

You want to find a book on the web? First off, you've got a
computer, so you should, I say again SHOULD, know about on-line
searches. But, you'll still ask where you can find whatever. Start
with google. I look up quite a variety and number of books on-line.
Here's a link to a page with some sites I've found very useful in
finding books, and at the lowest prices, on-line. This took me awhile
to come up with these links, so best copy them down fast, because if
some idiot goes out of his way to give me grieft about any dead links or
something, I'll likely change the URL.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...ERATUREONLINE/

And, while we're on the subject, don't e-mail me, I'll e-mail you.
I'm not at all thilled getting e-mail, with a subject line from a thread
on rec.woodworking, but nothing saying it is by e-mail only. Stuff like
that tends to get discarded without being read - after all, if it has a
thread subject line, and nothing saying it is by e-mail only, then it
must be an error, and was posted in the thread also. Right?

Damn winter weather. Suppoed do be down in the 60s tonight. LMAO

JOAT
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.
- =A0Dale Carnegie

firstjois

Guess who wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:08:17 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

I constantly see people posting about books here, which ones to
get, where to get them. You'd think they were in about the 3d
grade. Hell, even school kids know about the library.

You got that one right. It's called making an adult decision, and
that's becoming more and more rare these days.

I don't know how many woodworking books were in the library in the bad old
days or what was available in run of the mill books stores either but I do
know that today there is more than enough in either. I've found the ones
at the library to be old and pointed towards what you would like to build
rather than wood working techniques. At the book store most of the books
are pointed at styles of furniture or again, what you would like to build.
I have 10-15 of these kinds of books already and I could have kept on
buying those 'til the cows come home and never have found Tage Frid. His
name came from someone in this group (thank you) maybe now I won't have to
buy another 10-15 books, or hunt down another dozen at the library to
figure out how these things were done.

It's a pain in the neck to keep making booklists for newbies, but it is a
help to the newbie and save us $$$ we'd rather be spending on wood.

Why not make up a list in the word processing program of your choice and
cut & paste the list whenever the question comes back up again? Consider
it, (scarey as it may be) an act of kindness.

As for the email senders - nuke 'em!

Josie