Robert Bonomi

Default I need to find replacement Soss concealed hinges.

In article ,
X wrote:
I bought a nice little telephone stand/cabinet at an auction sale.
It's in good shape accept for the fact that it has a broken hinge.
From what I can tell it has Soss concealed/invisable hinges. The
hinges are slighly morticed into the doors. I can get replacement
hinges from Rockler, but at $25.00 (set) U.S. plus shipping I was
hoping to find them at a more discounted price. Does anyone know of a
web site, or hardware store in the U.S. that carries the Soss type of
hinges? From what I could find on the net they are going to be
expensive.

They're actually _not_ that much more expensive than other cabinet hinges
_of_similar_quality_. There's just no such thing as a 'budget' SOSS hinge;

Pretty much any Ace Hardware can get them. They probably don't stock
'em -- though I know of a couple of "real" hardware stores (100-year-plus
family operations) that bought into the Ace co-op, who _do_ stock several
of the smaller sizes.

Google for 'soss hinge', you'll come up with a *bunch* of mail-/online-order
places.

My Woodworkers Hardware 2004 catalog lists the entire SOSS line. From the
application, I'm guessing they're #203s, which have a price of $13+/pair
(There's also a #204 which is bigger, at $17+/pair. there's also a #103,
which is a bit smaller, at circa $11/pair.) Anything bigger than a 204
requires more than 3/4" thick stock.

What other type of hinge could be used if you don't want it to be seen
on the outside of the cabinet?

The 'generic' name is a 'concealed hinge'. SOSS hinges, and "bullet' hinges
are unique in that they are _totally_ concealed -- from *either* side of the
door opening.

Blum, and others make hinges that are invisible from the _outside_, but they
take up a bunch of space _inside_ the cabinet.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article s.com,
says...
The 'generic' name is a 'concealed hinge'. SOSS hinges, and "bullet' hinges
are unique in that they are _totally_ concealed -- from *either* side of the
door opening.

If by "bullet" hinges you mean the ones that fit into a drilled hole and
are held by an expansion screw, I've been meaning to try them on a
project.

Any secrets to getting the holes aligned? Dowel centers come to mind.

A _good_ doweling jig is even better.

Any other gotcha's or tips I should know about?

Read the installation directions that come with the hinge *carefully*.
The 'maximum offset' from the surface of the door is a _real_ limit -- set
the hinge too far back, and it will bind when opening.

Oh yeah -- when placing hinges in _unfinished_ stock, be sure to allow for
the thickness of any finish build-up on the surface of the stock. I did
a folding panel ('japanese screen' type) once, where I forgot to account for
the thickness of the wallpaper I was covering it with. Oops!

Alan W

One poster

They're actually _not_ that much more expensive than other cabinet hinges
_of_similar_quality_. There's just no such thing as a 'budget' SOSS hinge;

I paid about $4.00 a 10mm hinge for the bullet hinges, and I would
like to put a bullet in whoever makes them, as it was crap. First one
of the 4 broke, and those are a BITCH to get out. Then there is the
issue of slop in the mechanism, makes the jewelry box they are in look
like a hack job.

I've shown it to Steve Knight and bitched about those hinges.

I wish I had used the slot type which are larger and supposed to be
better built.

Another poster

The 'generic' name is a 'concealed hinge'. SOSS hinges, and "bullet' hinges
are unique in that they are _totally_ concealed -- from *either* side of the
door opening.

The mortise hinges are available at Lowes fairly frequently in their
specialty furniture fasteners section. I do not know the quality of
them there.

Alan