Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article s.com,
says...
The 'generic' name is a 'concealed hinge'. SOSS hinges, and "bullet' hinges
are unique in that they are _totally_ concealed -- from *either* side of the
door opening.

If by "bullet" hinges you mean the ones that fit into a drilled hole and
are held by an expansion screw, I've been meaning to try them on a
project.

Any secrets to getting the holes aligned? Dowel centers come to mind.

A _good_ doweling jig is even better.

Any other gotcha's or tips I should know about?

Read the installation directions that come with the hinge *carefully*.
The 'maximum offset' from the surface of the door is a _real_ limit -- set
the hinge too far back, and it will bind when opening.

Oh yeah -- when placing hinges in _unfinished_ stock, be sure to allow for
the thickness of any finish build-up on the surface of the stock. I did
a folding panel ('japanese screen' type) once, where I forgot to account for
the thickness of the wallpaper I was covering it with. Oops!