Robert Bonomi

Default I need to find replacement Soss concealed hinges.

In article ,
X wrote:
I bought a nice little telephone stand/cabinet at an auction sale.
It's in good shape accept for the fact that it has a broken hinge.
From what I can tell it has Soss concealed/invisable hinges. The
hinges are slighly morticed into the doors. I can get replacement
hinges from Rockler, but at $25.00 (set) U.S. plus shipping I was
hoping to find them at a more discounted price. Does anyone know of a
web site, or hardware store in the U.S. that carries the Soss type of
hinges? From what I could find on the net they are going to be
expensive.

They're actually _not_ that much more expensive than other cabinet hinges
_of_similar_quality_. There's just no such thing as a 'budget' SOSS hinge;

Pretty much any Ace Hardware can get them. They probably don't stock
'em -- though I know of a couple of "real" hardware stores (100-year-plus
family operations) that bought into the Ace co-op, who _do_ stock several
of the smaller sizes.

Google for 'soss hinge', you'll come up with a *bunch* of mail-/online-order
places.

My Woodworkers Hardware 2004 catalog lists the entire SOSS line. From the
application, I'm guessing they're #203s, which have a price of $13+/pair
(There's also a #204 which is bigger, at $17+/pair. there's also a #103,
which is a bit smaller, at circa $11/pair.) Anything bigger than a 204
requires more than 3/4" thick stock.

What other type of hinge could be used if you don't want it to be seen
on the outside of the cabinet?

The 'generic' name is a 'concealed hinge'. SOSS hinges, and "bullet' hinges
are unique in that they are _totally_ concealed -- from *either* side of the
door opening.

Blum, and others make hinges that are invisible from the _outside_, but they
take up a bunch of space _inside_ the cabinet.