OT Carpet install... how to terminate at a threshold

Old October 3rd 04, 01:30 AM
C & S

Default OT Carpet install... how to terminate at a threshold

I recently removed a carpet from a hallway. The adjoining rooms still have
wall to wall carpet that will now terminate at a previously covered wood
(OWWM) threshold. How to I terminate the carpet (cut pile) butting up
against a threshold?

Thanks,

Steve

Old October 3rd 04, 02:38 AM
Greg G.

C & S said:

I recently removed a carpet from a hallway. The adjoining rooms still have
wall to wall carpet that will now terminate at a previously covered wood
(OWWM) threshold. How to I terminate the carpet (cut pile) butting up
against a threshold?

Normally, a metal carpet edge threshhold has a lip you bend over the
edge of the carpet, For wood threshholds, there is a rabbit that
covers the carpet edge.

Can you just remove the threshhold that is already in place, cut a
1/4" or so deep rabbit into the lower edge, and replace it, thereby
covering and fastening the carpet edge? It might be advisable to
either lay a thin carpet tack strip under the edge, imbed downward
facing pins to securely hold the carpet edge in place, or staple it
into place. (Wouldn't want it slipping out from under the
edging/threshhold.) Make sure the carpet tacks don't extend into the
carpet far enough that you can feel them when you step on the strip -
it hurts bare feet! Hammer the tips over after laying the carpet if
necessary.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Old October 3rd 04, 03:50 AM
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:30:53 -0400, "C & S"
calmly ranted:

I recently removed a carpet from a hallway. The adjoining rooms still have
wall to wall carpet that will now terminate at a previously covered wood
(OWWM) threshold. How to I terminate the carpet (cut pile) butting up
against a threshold?

4 more common finishing touches:

1) Fold the edge of the carpet 1" under and tack it onto edge
tack-strip (longer tacks which are then hammered down so you
don't poke yourself) leaving a carpet edge.

2) Cover with flat aluminum edging and screw 'em down.
This gives you a flatter ramp effect.

3) Cover with C-shaped edging on tack strip.
This gives you a bumpy metal edge.

4) Make an undercut wooden moulding and tack the carpet down,
covering it with the moulding.

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------

Old October 3rd 04, 07:36 AM
George E. Cawthon

If you don't want to use the standard metal edge that you hammer down
or a thin wood strip that you screw down on top of the carpet, then
stapling will work. Turn the carpet under (don't have any carpet pad
between the carpet and the wood floor in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch that is
turned under) and staple right at the edge. If done tightly, you will
never know that it is stapled. The same treatment works well with a
transition from carpet to vinyl or a transition between to thicknesses
or kinds of carpet. We never experienced any unusual wear and no
carpet pull up where this was done, although the carpet is ready for
replacement due to wear in other parts after many years.