Greg G.

C & S said:

I recently removed a carpet from a hallway. The adjoining rooms still have
wall to wall carpet that will now terminate at a previously covered wood
(OWWM) threshold. How to I terminate the carpet (cut pile) butting up
against a threshold?

Normally, a metal carpet edge threshhold has a lip you bend over the
edge of the carpet, For wood threshholds, there is a rabbit that
covers the carpet edge.

Can you just remove the threshhold that is already in place, cut a
1/4" or so deep rabbit into the lower edge, and replace it, thereby
covering and fastening the carpet edge? It might be advisable to
either lay a thin carpet tack strip under the edge, imbed downward
facing pins to securely hold the carpet edge in place, or staple it
into place. (Wouldn't want it slipping out from under the
edging/threshhold.) Make sure the carpet tacks don't extend into the
carpet far enough that you can feel them when you step on the strip -
it hurts bare feet! Hammer the tips over after laying the carpet if
necessary.

FWIW,

Greg G.