Dull band saw blades

Old December 5th 11, 09:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dull band saw blades

What do you guys do with your dull band saw blades? Do you bother trying to
sharpen them (or have them sharpened by somebody else)? Or do you just chuck
them and buy new ones? I've tried to sharpen a couple of them using a Dremel
tool and some methods suggested by others on their woodworking sites (I'm sure
a Google would turn up enough examples), and the results were passable, but it
was a pain to say the least. Are there any good (and reasonably priced) blade
sharpening jigs that would make it worth the effort? I'm starting to get knee
deep in dull band saw blades...

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Old December 5th 11, 10:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
What do you guys do with your dull band saw blades? Do you bother
trying to sharpen them (or have them sharpened by somebody else)? Or
do you just chuck them and buy new ones? I've tried to sharpen a
couple of them using a Dremel tool and some methods suggested by
others on their woodworking sites (I'm sure a Google would turn up
enough examples), and the results were passable, but it was a pain to
say the least. Are there any good (and reasonably priced) blade
sharpening jigs that would make it worth the effort? I'm starting to
get knee deep in dull band saw blades...

When I owned a bandsaw... I could never see the worth in the time it would
require to sharpen a band. I've since given my band saw to my son, so now I
don't even think about those things, but I can tell you that if I ever
bought another one, and the band had more than 12 teeth on it - I would not
spend my time trying to sharpen it. And... I'm a fanatic about sharp. I
sharpen scissors, knives, chainsaw chains, etc. But band saw bands... Nope.

--

-Mike-

Old December 6th 11, 01:22 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Band saw blades of 1/2 or larger can be useful as beading tool material.
You can make a beading tool holder and just cut the band saw and file to
shape.

Other than that, pretty tough to sit there sharpening it. Lots of work
for little gain. Contact a professional shop if you are really
interested maybe they have a machine like that used for table saw blades.

Old December 6th 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote in
:

What do you guys do with your dull band saw blades? Do you bother
trying to sharpen them (or have them sharpened by somebody else)? Or
do you just chuck them and buy new ones? I've tried to sharpen a
couple of them using a Dremel tool and some methods suggested by
others on their woodworking sites (I'm sure a Google would turn up
enough examples), and the results were passable, but it was a pain to
say the least. Are there any good (and reasonably priced) blade
sharpening jigs that would make it worth the effort? I'm starting to
get knee deep in dull band saw blades...

Most of the blades are cheap enough that they're not worth it. I wonder if
you could get anything for them from a recycler?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Old December 6th 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
What do you guys do with your dull band saw blades? Do you bother
trying to sharpen them (or have them sharpened by somebody else)? Or
do you just chuck them and buy new ones? I've tried to sharpen a
couple of them using a Dremel tool and some methods suggested by
others on their woodworking sites (I'm sure a Google would turn up
enough examples), and the results were passable, but it was a pain to
say the least. Are there any good (and reasonably priced) blade
sharpening jigs that would make it worth the effort? I'm starting to
get knee deep in dull band saw blades...

Trying to sharpen bandsaw blades is about as bad as trying to reclaim toilet
paper.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old December 7th 11, 01:15 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 15:41:40 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

What do you guys do with your dull band saw blades? Do you bother trying to
sharpen them (or have them sharpened by somebody else)? Or do you just chuck
them and buy new ones? I've tried to sharpen a couple of them using a Dremel
tool and some methods suggested by others on their woodworking sites (I'm sure
a Google would turn up enough examples), and the results were passable, but it
was a pain to say the least. Are there any good (and reasonably priced) blade
sharpening jigs that would make it worth the effort? I'm starting to get knee
deep in dull band saw blades...

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

I sent in some dull blades to my sharpener/supplier guy, once. The
burrs left from sharpening made the blade even worse than dull. For
another 3-4$, I could have bought new blades and should have.

Old December 7th 11, 01:24 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What do you guys do with your dull band saw blades? Do you bother trying to
sharpen them (or have them sharpened by somebody else)? Or do you just chuck
them and buy new ones? I've tried to sharpen a couple of them using a Dremel
tool and some methods suggested by others on their woodworking sites (I'm sure
a Google would turn up enough examples), and the results were passable, but it
was a pain to say the least. Are there any good (and reasonably priced) blade
sharpening jigs that would make it worth the effort? I'm starting to get knee
deep in dull band saw blades...

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

I sent in some dull blades to my sharpener/supplier guy, once. The
burrs left from sharpening made the blade even worse than dull. For
another 3-4$, I could have bought new blades and should have.

If your "sharpener/supplier guy" left burrs, you were doing business
with the wrong person. I hope you've changed to a reputable company
since then.

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
Old December 7th 11, 09:10 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I sent in some dull blades to my sharpener/supplier guy, once. The
burrs left from sharpening made the blade even worse than dull. For
another 3-4$, I could have bought new blades and should have.

Another point on why to not resharpen is that the steel in the blade gets
work hardened and brittle, after enough use to dull them.

-- Jim in NC

Old December 7th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What do you guys do with your dull band saw blades? Do you bother trying
sharpen them (or have them sharpened by somebody else)? Or do you just
chuck
them and buy new ones? I've tried to sharpen a couple of them using a
Dremel
tool and some methods suggested by others on their woodworking sites (I'm
sure
a Google would turn up enough examples), and the results were passable,
but it
was a pain to say the least. Are there any good (and reasonably priced)
blade
sharpening jigs that would make it worth the effort? I'm starting to get
knee
deep in dull band saw blades...

One of my associates with a Wood Miser bandsaw mill reports that he could
get the blades re-sharpened but the two way shipping costs would bring the
cost up to what new blades cost him. He also reports that he faces a lower
breakage rate with new ones--the blades fatigue/work harden with use and the
more use they've seen the more frequent the breaks.

John

Why do razor blades get dull so fast? [email protected] Metalworking 82 September 10th 13 04:40 AM
Bad Bosch Band Saw Blades Hoosierpopi Woodworking 23 September 1st 11 06:12 PM
band-saw blades JP Home Repair 2 February 9th 11 03:05 AM
Best way to clean band saw blades? -MIKE- Woodworking 16 March 28th 09 06:58 PM
Band Saw Blades [email protected] Woodworking 25 January 10th 09 05:26 PM