Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dull band saw blades

Steve Turner wrote:
What do you guys do with your dull band saw blades? Do you bother
trying to sharpen them (or have them sharpened by somebody else)? Or
do you just chuck them and buy new ones? I've tried to sharpen a
couple of them using a Dremel tool and some methods suggested by
others on their woodworking sites (I'm sure a Google would turn up
enough examples), and the results were passable, but it was a pain to
say the least. Are there any good (and reasonably priced) blade
sharpening jigs that would make it worth the effort? I'm starting to
get knee deep in dull band saw blades...

When I owned a bandsaw... I could never see the worth in the time it would
require to sharpen a band. I've since given my band saw to my son, so now I
don't even think about those things, but I can tell you that if I ever
bought another one, and the band had more than 12 teeth on it - I would not
spend my time trying to sharpen it. And... I'm a fanatic about sharp. I
sharpen scissors, knives, chainsaw chains, etc. But band saw bands... Nope.

--

-Mike-