Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Dull band saw blades

wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 15:41:40 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

What do you guys do with your dull band saw blades? Do you bother trying
sharpen them (or have them sharpened by somebody else)? Or do you just
chuck
them and buy new ones? I've tried to sharpen a couple of them using a
Dremel
tool and some methods suggested by others on their woodworking sites (I'm
sure
a Google would turn up enough examples), and the results were passable,
but it
was a pain to say the least. Are there any good (and reasonably priced)
blade
sharpening jigs that would make it worth the effort? I'm starting to get
knee
deep in dull band saw blades...

One of my associates with a Wood Miser bandsaw mill reports that he could
get the blades re-sharpened but the two way shipping costs would bring the
cost up to what new blades cost him. He also reports that he faces a lower
breakage rate with new ones--the blades fatigue/work harden with use and the
more use they've seen the more frequent the breaks.

John