What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

Old June 11th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:18:27 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:33:40 -0700 (PDT), busbus
wrote:

I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I have one of their smaller compressors and it works fine for my
needs.

I have one of their 47065 (4.65 peak horsies on 120v giggle, 21
gallon vertical) compressors and it works fine. 2+ years old, not used
a whole lot, doesn't leak much. They're loud but serviceable
beasties.

If I had it to do over, I might buy a pump, motor, and tank
separately, for improved CFM.

This looks like the same comp, rebadged with TALL AD LETTERING.
Same price/capacity.

WOW, HF now has a gasoline powered compressor for $599.
http://goo.gl/Tu8u2 Has anyone used one yet?

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Old June 11th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.woodworking

busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

For a broader view, check out Harbor Freight Reviews (not affiliated with
the company).

http://hfreviews.com/

For example, their pancake compressor got a 4-out-of-5 review.

On the other hand, if you buy it and it doesn't meet your expectations, take
it back for a full refund. HF has a VERY liberal returns policy.

Old June 11th 11, 03:39 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2011 7:57 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jun 10, 1:33 pm, wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...25-psi-cast-ir...

I am not a big HF fan, but I have had pretty good luck with some of
their stuff. I have had one of their $99 special mortise machines for
several years. The hold down hardware sucks but the machine has
plenty of power and cuts square holes and slots with help of clamps.
I have some of their smaller tools that work well. 18 Gage nailer
won't wear out -- $20.

No air compressor experience.

Ron

I have one of their small tire inflators, It normally went for about
$29, but was on special for $15. I have been using it for several years
now and am completely happy with it. Its volume is good and while I use
it principally for my JD garden tractor, I have used it on my van which
has 40psi in the tires.

I would recommend it to anyone who asked.

While I have bought other things at HF and never been disappointed, this
is the only electrical tool I have.
Old June 11th 11, 03:53 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 06/10/2011 07:39 PM, k-nuttle wrote:
On 6/10/2011 7:57 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jun 10, 1:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

I have this one for airing up tires on the 54th wheel and occasional
brad nailer use when out of range of the "big 240V" compressor. On sale
and with a 20% off coupon, got it for under $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

Noisy, but works great.
Old June 11th 11, 03:54 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2011 7:57 PM, RonB wrote:
On Jun 10, 1:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

That'd be 5th wheel...
Old June 11th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"busbus" wrote in message

I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

==========

I am thinking this unit looks exactly like the unit I purchased a few years
ago under the Campbell and Hausfeld brand name.

The units works well but the noise will drive you out of house and home!! I
have the unit in my garage and if it kicks in while in the garage you would
jump out of your skin. I am so glad I wear earmuffs while operating my mitre
saw when it kicks in or I would probably have cut my hand off by now. I have
thought of boxing it in when I move it to a more permanent place and sound
insulate the monster. I know my EU2000i Honda Generator will not start it,
run it yes but not start it again...big electric surge!

Knowing the noise factor I would look for another unit. Some of the newer
pancake units are half the noise and quarter the size.

--

Eric

Old June 11th 11, 06:45 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:32:17 -0400, Bill wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/10/11 3:21 PM, CW wrote:
wrote in message
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise
(everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my
life
and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are though
you won't get the one welded together by the ****ed off slave labor.
Feeling
lucky?

So you're one of those guys who thinks an air talk can explode like a
bomb, huh?

I assume it's got a safety valve of some sort. What's the skinny?

I haven't checked the stats, but my SWAG is that 98.99% of tanks
develop pinhole leaks which expand, )1% blow at the seams sans
shrapnel, and the other 0.01% have pressure relief valves stick (how
much overpressure can a cheap pump put out, anyway?) and they actually
explode, hurting someone. Here's the nastiest one I could find in ten
minutes. giggle http://goo.gl/I5ab8

Seam ruptures on a 21 gallon tank put (15psia empty, 150psi full) 210
gallons of air into the shop in a short amount of time, blowing out
the windows and making the ears smart a bit, wot?

Old June 11th 11, 11:08 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:
snip
I have this one for airing up tires on the 54th wheel and occasional
brad nailer use when out of range of the "big 240V" compressor. On sale
and with a 20% off coupon, got it for under $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

Noisy, but works great.

That'd be 5th wheel...

Would you believe my old brain actually read that as "5th wheel" the
first time? I had to go back to see what you were correcting.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Tried to play my shoehorn... all I got
was footnotes!

Old June 11th 11, 04:08 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 10, 2:33*pm, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. *I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...25-psi-cast-ir...

bought oe of their pancake compressors - for a spare, light-duty work
at a "second" shop. But would buy a Porter Cable (had for nearly ten
years now doing lots of projects without issues) or similar for my
first pancake compressor. I had a 30G Craftsman that has lasted twenty
years ad still looks new and works just fine. Must admit that I am not
a contractor, just a hobbyist.

WARNING, HFT Heat Guns suck. Not only suck air in the rear and blow it
out hot from the front as you might expect, but fail with very little
use. On my second unit and it hasn't lasted six months! If you do get
one, beware teh duty cycle. I suspect it's less than thirty seconds of
continuous operating at High Heat setting.
Old June 11th 11, 04:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 11, 1:45*am, Larry Jaques
wot?

Problem is, that when people try to imagine what an air tank failure
would look like, their imaginations become filled with fuel/grenade/
gasoline/actionmoviebull**** type explosions.

The escape of normal (135psig?) air pressure out of a failed metal
tank will not be accompanied by a full perimeter failure releasing a
rather benign quantity of stored energy. It will release in a fart-
like measured amount.
It will be a big howling puff, but no bang, and any **** flying will
be because of the startle factor, not due to released energy.

For giggles, my mechanic and his friends hooked up a motorcycle inner
tube to a 165psig line in a garage and just let it get bigger and
bigger. So big in fact that a huge hernia appeared which became almost
see-through thin. When it failed, it made a bang, much louder than a
balloon, but not mortar launch grade. The flying remnants did knock
over a beer, much to the chagrin of one the participants. Yes alcohol
was involved. No blown-out windows. The hose-end with the metal nipple
did fly around for quite a while till the main valve was shut off.