Posted to alt.home.repair

Default harbor freight air compressor spare parts

I have a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic air compressor that I would
like to find a new oil dipstick for. Harbor Freight tells me it will
take 6-8 weeks or longer to get one. Has anyone had any luck finding
spare parts any place else? By any chance does anyone know if they are
a generic part and could be purchased through another manufacturer?

TIA

Respk

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic air compressor that I would
like to find a new oil dipstick for. Harbor Freight tells me it will
take 6-8 weeks or longer to get one. Has anyone had any luck finding
spare parts any place else? By any chance does anyone know if they are
a generic part and could be purchased through another manufacturer?

TIA

Respk

Congratulations. This is what happens when you buy things made in China.
What happened to the old dipstick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Respk

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic air compressor that I would
like to find a new oil dipstick for. Harbor Freight tells me it will
take 6-8 weeks or longer to get one. Has anyone had any luck finding
spare parts any place else? By any chance does anyone know if they are
a generic part and could be purchased through another manufacturer?

TIA

Respk

Congratulations. This is what happens when you buy things made in China.
What happened to the old dipstick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic air compressor that I would
like to find a new oil dipstick for. Harbor Freight tells me it will
take 6-8 weeks or longer to get one. Has anyone had any luck finding
spare parts any place else? By any chance does anyone know if they are
a generic part and could be purchased through another manufacturer?

TIA

Respk

Congratulations. This is what happens when you buy things made in China.
What happened to the old dipstick?

Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

You're welcome.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Respk

No.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

i'm assuming that the reason you are asking the question is that the
compressor will leak if the disptick is not tightened and you wish to
use the compressor sooner than six weeks from now. What about using a
bolt and copper washer (if the dipstick has straight threads) or a pipe
plug (if it has pipe threads) to seal the hole while the compressor is
running, and only use the stripped dipstick for checking the oil level?
The threads will likely be Metric as as Joe implied, much of HF's
merchandise is made in China.

good luck,

nate

wrote:
Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Respk

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic air compressor that I would
like to find a new oil dipstick for. Harbor Freight tells me it will
take 6-8 weeks or longer to get one. Has anyone had any luck finding
spare parts any place else? By any chance does anyone know if they are
a generic part and could be purchased through another manufacturer?

TIA

Respk

Congratulations. This is what happens when you buy things made in China.
What happened to the old dipstick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Temporarily, how about a rubber stopper?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good ideas. I hadn't thought of a bolt, but why the copper washer?

In talking with HB customer service it seems debatable whether one can
be obtained at all. I just thought it might be quicker and/or easier
to find a secondary source if one exists.

Thanks for the help.

wrote:
Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Respk

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic air compressor that I would
like to find a new oil dipstick for. Harbor Freight tells me it will
take 6-8 weeks or longer to get one. Has anyone had any luck finding
spare parts any place else? By any chance does anyone know if they are
a generic part and could be purchased through another manufacturer?

TIA

Respk

Congratulations. This is what happens when you buy things made in China.
What happened to the old dipstick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have tried one stopper but it keeps popping out. When it does the
compressor throws oil all over the place. I am searching for another
stopper that is closer to the right size but haven't found one just
yet.

Long term I thought it might be quicker and/or easier to find a
secondary source for the dipstick if such a thing exists.

Thanks for the help.

Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Temporarily, how about a rubber stopper?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to try a trick that worked for my outboard engine, when I
dropped the oil filler cap into the water. There were only 3 days left to my
vacation - not enough time to order the cap. I called my dealer, who
suggested buying some Reynolds heavy duty aluminum foil, crumpling some into
a hard ball slightly larger than the opening in the motor, and twisting it
into place as if it were the cap. Not only did the motor's threads sort of
cut their mirror image into the ball of foil, but because I crumpled the
foil hard enough, I was able to unscrew it and screw it back in.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have tried one stopper but it keeps popping out. When it does the
compressor throws oil all over the place. I am searching for another
stopper that is closer to the right size but haven't found one just
yet.

Long term I thought it might be quicker and/or easier to find a
secondary source for the dipstick if such a thing exists.

Thanks for the help.

Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Temporarily, how about a rubber stopper?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm going to try that. Especially since it is quick and if I can
unscrew it and use it over.

Thanks.

Respk

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
You might want to try a trick that worked for my outboard engine, when I
dropped the oil filler cap into the water. There were only 3 days left to my
vacation - not enough time to order the cap. I called my dealer, who
suggested buying some Reynolds heavy duty aluminum foil, crumpling some into
a hard ball slightly larger than the opening in the motor, and twisting it
into place as if it were the cap. Not only did the motor's threads sort of
cut their mirror image into the ball of foil, but because I crumpled the
foil hard enough, I was able to unscrew it and screw it back in.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have tried one stopper but it keeps popping out. When it does the
compressor throws oil all over the place. I am searching for another
stopper that is closer to the right size but haven't found one just
yet.

Long term I thought it might be quicker and/or easier to find a
secondary source for the dipstick if such a thing exists.

Thanks for the help.

Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Temporarily, how about a rubber stopper?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just keep an eye on the condition of the foil around the threads. Heavy duty
foil shouldn't start flaking - and you don't want that in the oil. Make a
new foil ball if it seems to be wearing out, and don't be constantly playing
with it.

Another idea: Do the threads in the compressor seem to fall within the
realm of "normal", like any kind of typical bolt you'd find in a hardware
store? If so, and you can use a bolt to determine the thread size, then you
can have a metal shop create something that'll put the K in Kustom. :-)

ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
You might want to try a trick that worked for my outboard engine, when I
dropped the oil filler cap into the water. There were only 3 days left to
my
vacation - not enough time to order the cap. I called my dealer, who
suggested buying some Reynolds heavy duty aluminum foil, crumpling some
into
a hard ball slightly larger than the opening in the motor, and twisting
it
into place as if it were the cap. Not only did the motor's threads sort
of
cut their mirror image into the ball of foil, but because I crumpled the
foil hard enough, I was able to unscrew it and screw it back in.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have tried one stopper but it keeps popping out. When it does the
compressor throws oil all over the place. I am searching for another
stopper that is closer to the right size but haven't found one just
yet.

Long term I thought it might be quicker and/or easier to find a
secondary source for the dipstick if such a thing exists.

Thanks for the help.

Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Temporarily, how about a rubber stopper?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

My Harbor Freight Compressor has a broken Glass viewer plug for the
compressor oil level. I need a replacement for it too so please post
your search results.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
You might want to try a trick that worked for my outboard engine, when I
dropped the oil filler cap into the water. There were only 3 days left to my
vacation - not enough time to order the cap. I called my dealer, who
suggested buying some Reynolds heavy duty aluminum foil, crumpling some into
a hard ball slightly larger than the opening in the motor, and twisting it
into place as if it were the cap. Not only did the motor's threads sort of
cut their mirror image into the ball of foil, but because I crumpled the
foil hard enough, I was able to unscrew it and screw it back in.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have tried one stopper but it keeps popping out. When it does the
compressor throws oil all over the place. I am searching for another
stopper that is closer to the right size but haven't found one just
yet.

Long term I thought it might be quicker and/or easier to find a
secondary source for the dipstick if such a thing exists.

Thanks for the help.

Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the proverbial 2x4 to the head.

The plastic threads have stripped.

I don't suppose you have an answer to my questions?

Temporarily, how about a rubber stopper?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would get a bolt and washer and just use that. If you really need to
use the dipstick to measure the oil level, just remove the bold and use
the dipstick and replace the bolt. Harbor reoght is not in the
business of providing replacement parts (based upon the prices that
they charge for them). And replace the air valve at the output of the
compresor with a good one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to respk, Jerry Yang wrote:
Dear Friend,
We are ingersoll rand air compressor distributor that supply genuine air
compressor and spare parts.
Please contact us to inquiry about detail.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-177800-.htm