Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Night Stands Finished!

I have not worked on these for probably a week, the varnish on the tops
was drying. The marble tops are heavy, 70~80 lbs, they make a 45 lb bag
of dog food feel lite!

Any way one piece of marble was a touch too wide. The top fit snugly
over it and normally that would be perfect but you are never going to
want to pick up a 60 lb night stand with a slab of marble on top of that
too. The marble on one fit snug enough that when you lifted the wooden
framed top the marble would lift too. I could see some picking that
frame up and the marble falling out of the frame on to some toes.
Sooooo I used the Rotex and some 120 paper to sand away some proud spots
on the edge for a slightly looser fit.

Anyway here is the finished product waiting to be delivered.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Yes this one is slightly different. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
[...]

Very nice! I have used small pieces of marble myself on pieces many years
ago. There was a building being torn down in the neighborhood and there was
a lot of marble laying around. So I and others did a little recycling. I
glued them down with some silicone caulking.

Did you glue it down or are the tops loose?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2016 3:13 PM, Leon wrote:
I have not worked on these for probably a week, the varnish on the tops
was drying. The marble tops are heavy, 70~80 lbs, they make a 45 lb bag
of dog food feel lite!

Anyway here is the finished product waiting to be delivered.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Very nice. How thick is the marble? It is 173 pcf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2016 2:29 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

[...]

LOL, Absolutely no need to glue the marble down. It only moves after
the top frame is removed and with a more than moderate effort.
The wood frame captures the marble, which is 13/16" thick and it
captures the perimeter of the cabinet. So if you bump into the cabinet
top frame it will not slide off of the top cabinet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2016 6:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/24/2016 3:13 PM, Leon wrote:
I have not worked on these for probably a week, the varnish on the tops
was drying. The marble tops are heavy, 70~80 lbs, they make a 45 lb bag
of dog food feel lite!

Anyway here is the finished product waiting to be delivered.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Very nice. How thick is the marble? It is 173 pcf

Thank you. 13/16" thick. I do not know what 173 pcf is. I think the
pieces were left over scraps from a bathroom remodel as the pieces match
the bathroom counter top. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2016 6:32 PM, Leon wrote:

Very nice! I have used small pieces of marble myself on pieces many
years ago. There was a building being torn down in the neighborhood and
there was a lot of marble laying around. So I and others did a little
recycling. I glued them down with some silicone caulking.

Oh, and Thank You! ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 14:13:52 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Very Nice, I was wondering how the tops would look, like counter tops
or what, but that is much nicer. Now you should get some Ice Skating
figurines for the her side, and ice hockey setup for the his side.

Are the drawer pulls Marble too or porcelain?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2016 7:34 PM, Leon wrote:

Very nice. How thick is the marble? It is 173 pcf

Thank you. 13/16" thick. I do not know what 173 pcf is. I think the
pieces were left over scraps from a bathroom remodel as the pieces match
the bathroom counter top. LOL

173 pounds per cubic foot. At that thickness it is about 16# per square
foot.

Marble is nice in the bathroom. I remodeled both of ours in the past
year and used marble for a very wide and deep window sill, about 11 x 60.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I have not worked on these for probably a week, the varnish on the
tops was drying. The marble tops are heavy, 70~80 lbs, they make a
45 lb bag of dog food feel lite!

Any way one piece of marble was a touch too wide. The top fit snugly
over it and normally that would be perfect but you are never going to
want to pick up a 60 lb night stand with a slab of marble on top of
that too. The marble on one fit snug enough that when you lifted the
wooden framed top the marble would lift too. I could see some
picking that frame up and the marble falling out of the frame on to
some toes. Sooooo I used the Rotex and some 120 paper to sand away
some proud spots on the edge for a slightly looser fit.

Are you saying that the marble and its frame are not attached? If not, what
keeps them in place? And if so, how does the itsy-bitsy wife move them to
clean around them?

Nice job. I always admire the crispness and precision of your work. And I
note with interest the manner in which you minimized the end grain on the
frame. I assume you are familiar with the continuation of that joint in
which one miters just the little tongues? Doing so to the outboard side is
easy, the inboard one less so because of the care needed to limit the depth
of the miter which is why I've never done one. I just glue a thin strip
over the whole shebang

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thank you!

What is this ice hockey you speak of? ;~)

Are the drawer pulls Marble too or porcelain?

They are a flash back to the 70's. I would guess porcelain. Not a
perfect match but close enough I guess. I always have my customers pick
out and pay for the knobs and pulls. I install for no extra charge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2016 6:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Yes the marble and frame is not attached. Gravity keeps them in place. ;~)

Actually the frames are 1.25" deep, they cover the sides/edges of the
marble and past to cover the upper end of the cabinet by 7/16" so the
frames will not slide off.

Concerning the wife, I was thinking the cabinets would be lighter in
weight to move around if the frame and tops were removed. I suspect
that each cabinet weighs in excess of 100 lbs. and they sit on carpet,
so there would not be any scooting the cabinets around any way. ;~)

Nice job. I always admire the crispness and precision of your work.

Thank you.

And I
note with interest the manner in which you minimized the end grain on the
frame. I assume you are familiar with the continuation of that joint in
which one miters just the little tongues? Doing so to the outboard side is
easy, the inboard one less so because of the care needed to limit the depth
of the miter which is why I've never done one. I just glue a thin strip
over the whole shebang

Like this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
And I
note with interest the manner in which you minimized the end grain
on the frame. I assume you are familiar with the continuation of
that joint in which one miters just the little tongues? Doing so to
the outboard side is easy, the inboard one less so because of the
care needed to limit the depth of the miter which is why I've never
done one. I just glue a thin strip over the whole shebang

Like this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Yeah, like that, Mr. Smarty

How do you limit the one miter to PRECISELY the depth of the straight cut
out? Measure? One little difference in anything and you are screwed
Sneak up on it? Cut almost all the way & chisel/hand saw the rest? Do
tell...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2016 12:03 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
And I
note with interest the manner in which you minimized the end grain
on the frame. I assume you are familiar with the continuation of
that joint in which one miters just the little tongues? Doing so to
the outboard side is easy, the inboard one less so because of the
care needed to limit the depth of the miter which is why I've never
done one. I just glue a thin strip over the whole shebang

Like this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Yeah, like that, Mr. Smarty

;~0

How do you limit the one miter to PRECISELY the depth of the straight cut
out? Measure? One little difference in anything and you are screwed
Sneak up on it? Cut almost all the way & chisel/hand saw the rest? Do
tell...

This will be covered in my new $75 book. LOL I wish.

Take a look here, click to zoom in to the bottoms of the cabinets.
These are the bottom moldings on the fronts and sides of the cabinet
bottoms. I don't like for these type moldings to be shallower than door
and drawer fronts. So I simply make the sides longer to push the front
out enough so that it is proud of the fronts of the doors. Actually I
cut the sides a few inches too long and trim on the back square end.

Anyway what appears to be what you think you are seeing, ;~), is not
what you think you are seeing. You actually see 2 sides and 2 fronts
pieces. The flat ended spacer piece is an extra piece attached to the
back of the front. I made up a jig to hold the sides and front pieces
in place as they would fit. Then I cut that spacer to bit between
exactly between the side pieces. Before gluing the 2 front pieces
together I drilled picket holes on both ends of the spacer to hold the
joint closed. Then I attached it to the front piece while in the jig so
that it ended up precisely where it needed to be.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

Leon wrote:
And I
note with interest the manner in which you minimized the end grain
on the frame. I assume you are familiar with the continuation of
that joint in which one miters just the little tongues? Doing so to
the outboard side is easy, the inboard one less so because of the
care needed to limit the depth of the miter which is why I've never
done one. I just glue a thin strip over the whole shebang

Like this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Yeah, like that, Mr. Smarty

How do you limit the one miter to PRECISELY the depth of the straight cut
out? Measure? One little difference in anything and you are screwed
Sneak up on it? Cut almost all the way & chisel/hand saw the rest? Do
tell...

Do your setup on scrap and once everything fits right then cut the good
stuff.

Candle Stands Richi Home Repair 0 January 31st 08 08:13 AM
Night Stands Don Cross Woodworking 1 December 3rd 06 02:23 PM
Night Stands Don Cross Woodturning 0 December 3rd 06 02:06 PM
Car Stands from wood? jtaylor Metalworking 33 July 11th 05 08:20 PM
New shop open, my first workbench is finished, just not finished... JC Woodworking 8 May 31st 05 02:02 AM