Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Night Stands Finished!

Leon wrote:
I have not worked on these for probably a week, the varnish on the
tops was drying. The marble tops are heavy, 70~80 lbs, they make a
45 lb bag of dog food feel lite!

Any way one piece of marble was a touch too wide. The top fit snugly
over it and normally that would be perfect but you are never going to
want to pick up a 60 lb night stand with a slab of marble on top of
that too. The marble on one fit snug enough that when you lifted the
wooden framed top the marble would lift too. I could see some
picking that frame up and the marble falling out of the frame on to
some toes. Sooooo I used the Rotex and some 120 paper to sand away
some proud spots on the edge for a slightly looser fit.

Are you saying that the marble and its frame are not attached? If not, what
keeps them in place? And if so, how does the itsy-bitsy wife move them to
clean around them?

Nice job. I always admire the crispness and precision of your work. And I
note with interest the manner in which you minimized the end grain on the
frame. I assume you are familiar with the continuation of that joint in
which one miters just the little tongues? Doing so to the outboard side is
easy, the inboard one less so because of the care needed to limit the depth
of the miter which is why I've never done one. I just glue a thin strip
over the whole shebang