Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default Night Stands Finished!

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
I have not worked on these for probably a week, the varnish on the tops
was drying. The marble tops are heavy, 70~80 lbs, they make a 45 lb bag
of dog food feel lite!

Any way one piece of marble was a touch too wide. The top fit snugly over
it and normally that would be perfect but you are never going to want to
pick up a 60 lb night stand with a slab of marble on top of that too. The
marble on one fit snug enough that when you lifted the wooden framed top
the marble would lift too. I could see some picking that frame up and the
marble falling out of the frame on to some toes.
Sooooo I used the Rotex and some 120 paper to sand away some proud spots
on the edge for a slightly looser fit.

Anyway here is the finished product waiting to be delivered.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Yes this one is slightly different. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Very nice! I have used small pieces of marble myself on pieces many years
ago. There was a building being torn down in the neighborhood and there was
a lot of marble laying around. So I and others did a little recycling. I
glued them down with some silicone caulking.

Did you glue it down or are the tops loose?