Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Compound Miter Saw vs. Circular Saw

In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
bobted wrote:
In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.

Get both if you can, if not, it would be tough to do without a decent
circular saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:40:50 -0700 (PDT), bobted
wrote:

In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.

For the home handyman/carpentry type projects, the circular saw will
be more versatile. For the woodworker projects in the workshop, miter
saw. For me, but YMMV, miter saw = greater accuracy and precision,
circular saw = higher utility and portability.

For the specific task mentioned. trim work in a fixed location, I'd go
with the miter saw. But neither one really replaces the other. Budget
permitting, get both.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.

If you have the money get both. Otherwise a quality 12" compound
miter saw will prove to be very useful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article
,

--

Agreed here, any plywood to cut, or rips, or any of a dozen other operations
and you're out of luck with the miter saw. If it were a choice, I'd spend

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

bobted wrote:
In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.

Miter box, back saw, and coping saw.

Circular saw.

Compound miter saw.

(Start at the top. Stop when you run out of money.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 31, 9:20*am, Mike Paulsen wrote:
bobted wrote:
In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. *So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. *As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.

Miter box, back saw, and coping saw.

Circular saw.

Compound miter saw.

(Start at the top. Stop when you run out of money.)

A circular saw can do everything a miter saw can do, but a miter saw
can only do a fraction of what a circular saw can do. That being
said, a miter saw is faster and more accurate for what it does, and is
worth the money if you do frequent cross cuts, or just happen to have
the money kicking around.

I would suggest getting a circular saw with a good blade (the blade
will make more difference than the saw itself), and spending some time
to make some good quality jigs for the saw. Fortunately, even the
best of circular saw jigs are pretty fast and cheap to make. I
personally like the cross-cut jigs that use aluminum L-bars to guide
the saw -- just make sure you take the time to ensure everything is
perfectly square, and there is no slop. Also take the time to round
all the corners -- especially of the aluminum-L-bars.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 31 Aug 2009 05:56:34 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

bobted wrote in news:8416d37b-f26b-4104-98b1-
:

In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.

For what you're doing, a CMS would probably work out better. It would
take you much less time to adjust to a CMS than it would to a circular
saw for doing things like trim and angles.

A circular saw is actually a fairly inexpensive purchase, so I'd consider
both. I don't feel the circular saw is as accurate as the CMS, but it's
one of those tools where accuracy comes from the operator.

Puckdropper

....yup! Many times I've been caught without a CMS (or figgered I
didn't need it due to the size of the job) and ended-up using my
handy-dandy 6" Makita kit saw and the speed square in my pouch for
straight and miter cuts on base and casing...a little slow, but the
quality is comparable, 'specially if it's paint grade. Were I the OP
I'd opt for the miter first, then the worm-drive...less of a learning
curve with the CMS, those worm drives are powerful and a bit daunting
for an inexperienced homeowner, IMO.

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:18:03 -0500, the infamous Tom Veatch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.

For the home handyman/carpentry type projects, the circular saw will
be more versatile.

As a working handyman, I can attest to that.

For the woodworker projects in the workshop, miter
saw. For me, but YMMV, miter saw = greater accuracy and precision,
circular saw = higher utility and portability.

For the specific task mentioned. trim work in a fixed location, I'd go
with the miter saw. But neither one really replaces the other. Budget
permitting, get both.

But get a 12" _slider_, bobted. I picked up a 10" Delta CMS for $25
and outgrew it on the third job I used it on. My final 45-degree cuts
in 2x10s were with the dozuki (japanese pull saw.) The little 10-inch
miter saw left a couple inches to cut at that angle.

---