Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Default miter cut with circular saw

I need to cut a few 1/4" panels to cover a box so that no joints are
visible.

There are 4 ways to make miter cuts with a circular saw:

(1) clamp the keep side and saw with the motor on the keep side
(2) clamp the keep side and saw with the motor on the throw-away (drop) side
(3) clamp the throw-away side and saw with the motor on the keep (drop) side
(4) clamp the throw-away side and saw with the motor on the throw-away side

For simplicity, I'm only interested in choosing between (1) or (2). I
experimented with these two and the result was inconclusive. (2) seems to
work slightly better but could also be because I gained some practice after
doing (1).

What I leanred from the tests is I need to keep the saw absolutely level
because slight change in the elevation would cause the cut to become
crooked. I wonder if there is some sort of saw guide to help keep the saw on
the panel; it is too easy to tilt the saw slightly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

John wrote:

crooked. I wonder if there is some sort of saw guide to help keep the saw on
the panel; it is too easy to tilt the saw slightly.

There are a few types, depending on how wide your boards are. Probably
the best and easiest to use (though it would take some time to make)
would be something like:
http://wayneofthewoods.com/circular-...ing-guide.html

Other possibilities include:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,45313
(You'd save $ and probably get better results if you made one from a
speed square - I have a couple of various sizes)
or
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...s/boomclm.html
(there are a variety of these available - see also Amazon, Rockler,
Woodcraft, etc.)
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

John wrote:
I need to cut a few 1/4" panels to cover a box so that no joints are
visible.

If you're speaking literally, you may be setting your expectations too
high. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by panel, but if you're
talking about sheet goods such as plywood you'll have a tough time
making those miters perfect. Repeatability and maintaining perfectly
square pieces is tough enough with a table saw. Laying one box over
another is even tougher.

There are 4 ways to make miter cuts with a circular saw:

(1) clamp the keep side and saw with the motor on the keep side
(2) clamp the keep side and saw with the motor on the throw-away (drop) side
(3) clamp the throw-away side and saw with the motor on the keep (drop) side
(4) clamp the throw-away side and saw with the motor on the throw-away side

(5) Tell a cabinet shop or woodowrking friend, "I'll give you this
circular saw if you'll cut these pieces for me."

For simplicity, I'm only interested in choosing between (1) or (2). I
experimented with these two and the result was inconclusive. (2) seems to
work slightly better but could also be because I gained some practice after
doing (1).

You don't want the saw to move in planar relation to the piece being
cut. I find keeping the clamp and saw on the workpiece the most
accurate.

What I learned from the tests is I need to keep the saw absolutely level
because slight change in the elevation would cause the cut to become
crooked. I wonder if there is some sort of saw guide to help keep the saw on
the panel; it is too easy to tilt the saw slightly.

If you have the typical sidewinder circular saw with the motor to the
left of the blade, most of the weight of the saw is over the wider part
of the base. Just concentrate on keeping the saw base against the
fence and pressed down against the panel. Start the saw a bit before
you hit the workpiece and cut all the way through on the exit.
Sometimes I cheat and let the saw wind down inside the kerf as soon as
the cut is completed, but that sometimes leaves saw marks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John wrote:
I need to cut a few 1/4" panels to cover a box so that no joints are
visible.

There are 4 ways to make miter cuts with a circular saw:

Here's a 5th way: http://www.eurekazone.com/
This is the best circular saw guide I've ever seen or used and you can
accurately make the cut you're talking about. Buy the cabinet makers
set up and you'll find you use your table saw very little and you can
make most cuts very safely and accurately.

Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking
Perfection In Wood

On 12 Jun 2006 15:02:46 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

John wrote:

crooked. I wonder if there is some sort of saw guide to help keep the saw on
the panel; it is too easy to tilt the saw slightly.

There are a few types, depending on how wide your boards are. Probably
the best and easiest to use (though it would take some time to make)
would be something like:
http://wayneofthewoods.com/circular-...ing-guide.html

Other possibilities include:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,45313
(You'd save $ and probably get better results if you made one from a
speed square - I have a couple of various sizes)
or
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...s/boomclm.html
(there are a variety of these available - see also Amazon, Rockler,
Woodcraft, etc.)
Good luck,
Andy

I make all of my own guides - some simply using clamps and a straight
edge.
I also set the saw to max depth. This will give you more control over
the saw in general, although it can be dangerous if you are not
experienced with a C-Saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=929-567