Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Default miter cut with circular saw

I need to cut a few 1/4" panels to cover a box so that no joints are
visible.

There are 4 ways to make miter cuts with a circular saw:

(1) clamp the keep side and saw with the motor on the keep side
(2) clamp the keep side and saw with the motor on the throw-away (drop) side
(3) clamp the throw-away side and saw with the motor on the keep (drop) side
(4) clamp the throw-away side and saw with the motor on the throw-away side

For simplicity, I'm only interested in choosing between (1) or (2). I
experimented with these two and the result was inconclusive. (2) seems to
work slightly better but could also be because I gained some practice after
doing (1).

What I leanred from the tests is I need to keep the saw absolutely level
because slight change in the elevation would cause the cut to become
crooked. I wonder if there is some sort of saw guide to help keep the saw on
the panel; it is too easy to tilt the saw slightly.