Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Groh Charlie Groh is offline

Default Compound Miter Saw vs. Circular Saw

On 31 Aug 2009 05:56:34 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

bobted wrote in news:8416d37b-f26b-4104-98b1-
:

In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.

For what you're doing, a CMS would probably work out better. It would
take you much less time to adjust to a CMS than it would to a circular
saw for doing things like trim and angles.

A circular saw is actually a fairly inexpensive purchase, so I'd consider
both. I don't feel the circular saw is as accurate as the CMS, but it's
one of those tools where accuracy comes from the operator.

Puckdropper

....yup! Many times I've been caught without a CMS (or figgered I
didn't need it due to the size of the job) and ended-up using my
handy-dandy 6" Makita kit saw and the speed square in my pouch for
straight and miter cuts on base and casing...a little slow, but the
quality is comparable, 'specially if it's paint grade. Were I the OP
I'd opt for the miter first, then the worm-drive...less of a learning
curve with the CMS, those worm drives are powerful and a bit daunting
for an inexperienced homeowner, IMO.

cg