Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch[_2_] Tom Veatch[_2_] is offline

Default Compound Miter Saw vs. Circular Saw

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:40:50 -0700 (PDT), bobted
wrote:

In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some
bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my
opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home
handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be
more advantageous.

Thanks.

For the home handyman/carpentry type projects, the circular saw will
be more versatile. For the woodworker projects in the workshop, miter
saw. For me, but YMMV, miter saw = greater accuracy and precision,
circular saw = higher utility and portability.

For the specific task mentioned. trim work in a fixed location, I'd go
with the miter saw. But neither one really replaces the other. Budget
permitting, get both.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA