Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Black & Darker decides Festool has had enough action

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...2&go=5555IRW6L

I know this has been discussed, but I actually saw one back
at a local woodworking show this month.

It looked pretty neat, but looks can be deceiving.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 24, 10:42*am, Pat Barber wrote:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...2&go=5555IRW6L

I know this has been discussed, but I actually saw one back
at a local woodworking show this month.

It looked pretty neat, but looks can be deceiving.

There is a comparison on the Festool user group site:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=5400.0

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...2&go=5555IRW6L

I know this has been discussed, but I actually saw one back
at a local woodworking show this month.

It looked pretty neat, but looks can be deceiving.

It does look nice. I notice that it will work with both corded and cordless
saws. I wonder how well a battery operated saw do these kinds of cuts and
how long they would last.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
On Oct 24, 10:42 am, Pat Barber wrote:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...2&go=5555IRW6L

I know this has been discussed, but I actually saw one back
at a local woodworking show this month.

It looked pretty neat, but looks can be deceiving.

There is a comparison on the Festool user group
site:http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=5400.0

**********************************************8

Good review! Nothing like a real person doing an actual comparison in his
own shop!

You think that the magazines could learn something from that?

Naaahh...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Festool has a whole
family of these types of tools. I wonder if Dewalt is just going to come
out with one or two products like this, or a whole family.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...2&go=5555IRW6L

I know this has been discussed, but I actually saw one back
at a local woodworking show this month.

It looked pretty neat, but looks can be deceiving.

Makita also has a plunge saw and guide system.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Pat Barber" wrote in message
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...2&go=5555IRW6L

I know this has been discussed, but I actually saw one back
at a local woodworking show this month.

It looked pretty neat, but looks can be deceiving.

It does look nice. I notice that it will work with both corded and
cordless saws. I wonder how well a battery operated saw do these
kinds of cuts and how long they would last.

The things seem to be fairly commonplace in the EU--Hilti has one but
Home Despot didn't stock it when they were carrying Hilti (the local
store no longer has any Hilti on display) and the track seems to be
standardized.

Now what I think would be cool would be a nice little hinged adapter
that you put on a standard circular saw that lets it run on the track
and plunge on the hinge. Not going to be as nice as a purpose made
plunge saw but should do most of what one does and beats paying a
plunge-saw price.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I assume a Domino "look a like" carbon copy ain't
too far out in the future. You have to know that B&D is
watching these groups and others for conversation about
things like Domino. A very pricey solution and I have to
assume, very profitable.

When old Tom on T.O.H. did his free demo of Festool a
couple years back, you have to know that B&D caught that
show.

Lee Michaels wrote:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Festool has a whole
family of these types of tools. I wonder if Dewalt is just going to come
out with one or two products like this, or a whole family.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

Now what I think would be cool would be a nice little hinged adapter
that you put on a standard circular saw that lets it run on the track
and plunge on the hinge. Not going to be as nice as a purpose made
plunge saw but should do most of what one does and beats paying a
plunge-saw price.

Sounds like a good idea for a product. They make bases for both circular
saws and routers to run on tracks. It doesn't seem like that much of a jump
to a product like you are describing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...2&go=5555IRW6L

I know this has been discussed, but I actually saw one back
at a local woodworking show this month.

It looked pretty neat, but looks can be deceiving.

Apparently it will not cut a 2x4 in to 2 pieces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Pat Barber" wrote in message
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...2&go=5555IRW6L

I know this has been discussed, but I actually saw one back
at a local woodworking show this month.

It looked pretty neat, but looks can be deceiving.

Apparently it will not cut a 2x4 in to 2 pieces.

How do you figure that? Depth of cut is a bit over 2" when using the track.
Even when beveled at 45 degrees it can still do better than 1.5", so a 2x4
should be no problem.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 24, 5:22*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Pat Barber" wrote in message

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...2&go=5555IRW6L

I know this has been discussed, but I actually saw one back
at a local woodworking show this month.

It looked pretty neat, but looks can be deceiving.

Apparently it will not cut a 2x4 in to 2 pieces.

Leon,

If you are referring to the depth of cut, the DeWalt sites says it
will cut 2 1/8" hardwood. I guess your correct on the 2x4 since that
is not hardwood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:03:39 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Leon wrote:

Apparently it will not cut a 2x4 in to 2 pieces.

How do you figure that? Depth of cut is a bit over 2" when using the track.
Even when beveled at 45 degrees it can still do better than 1.5", so a 2x4
should be no problem.

Chris

Description says 2 1/8 depth of cut. Assuming that's square/90° it
wouldn't have any problems with a 2x4 nominal 1.5x3.5 actual. But it
would be real close at 45°. Calculated cut depth = 1.503

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Leon wrote:

Apparently it will not cut a 2x4 in to 2 pieces.

How do you figure that? Depth of cut is a bit over 2" when using the
track.
Even when beveled at 45 degrees it can still do better than 1.5", so a 2x4
should be no problem.

Chris

Description says 2 1/8 depth of cut. Assuming that's square/90° it
wouldn't have any problems with a 2x4 nominal 1.5x3.5 actual. But it
would be real close at 45°. Calculated cut depth = 1.503

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

My mistake Tom, You are absolutely correct. What was I thinking?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 24, 10:41*pm, "Leon" wrote:

My mistake Tom, *You are absolutely correct. *What was I thinking?

Don't take it too hard, Leon. It wasn't you... it was the Systainer
talking!

Juuuuuusst kidding....

(still snickering, though!)

Robert