Rory Manton

Default Sorry to butt in.

Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if
anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.

I have been told that it is eather cuban mahogany or (excuse spelling
please) Seclie ( some type of tree from the same family, sorry brains gone)
could anybody tell me anything about eather wood which would help identify
it.

Sorry I cant be more helpfull and ,once again sorry for butting in .

Thank you.

Doug Miller

In article , "Rory Manton" wrote:
Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if
anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.

I have been told that it is eather cuban mahogany or (excuse spelling
please) Seclie ( some type of tree from the same family, sorry brains gone)
could anybody tell me anything about eather wood which would help identify
it.

Post pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking - it's kinda hard to
identify wood without seeing it.

--
Regards,

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:18:02 +0100, "Rory Manton"
wrote:

Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if
anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.

Find a copy of Hoadley's "Identifying Wood"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0942391047/codesmiths

It's too American a book to be perfect for identifying European species,
but it's very well written, has a good section on how to go about
identifying timber, and covers enough of the tropicals that it ought to
sort you out.

It's worth buying, if you can't find it in a library. His other famous
book, "Understanding Wood" is even better.
no(SPAM)vasys

Rory Manton wrote:
Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if
anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.

I have been told that it is eather cuban mahogany or (excuse spelling
please) Seclie ( some type of tree from the same family, sorry brains gone)
could anybody tell me anything about eather wood which would help identify
it.

Sorry I cant be more helpfull and ,once again sorry for butting in .

Thank you.

For Cuban mahogany see:

http://www.bluemoonexoticwood.com/specs_mahog.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/woodsampler.html
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Got a bunch of pictures of wood there. Have a look and see if any of
them match.

HTH,

-Phil Crow