DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sorry to butt in. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/104006-sorry-butt.html)

Rory Manton April 23rd 05 01:18 PM

Sorry to butt in.

Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if
anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.

I have been told that it is eather cuban mahogany or (excuse spelling
please) Seclie ( some type of tree from the same family, sorry brains gone)
could anybody tell me anything about eather wood which would help identify
it.

Sorry I cant be more helpfull and ,once again sorry for butting in .

Thank you.

Doug Miller April 23rd 05 02:15 PM

In article , "Rory Manton" wrote:
Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if
anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.

I have been told that it is eather cuban mahogany or (excuse spelling
please) Seclie ( some type of tree from the same family, sorry brains gone)
could anybody tell me anything about eather wood which would help identify
it.

Post pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking - it's kinda hard to
identify wood without seeing it.

--
Regards,

Andy Dingley April 23rd 05 05:23 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:18:02 +0100, "Rory Manton"
wrote:

Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if
anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.

Find a copy of Hoadley's "Identifying Wood"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0942391047/codesmiths

It's too American a book to be perfect for identifying European species,
but it's very well written, has a good section on how to go about
identifying timber, and covers enough of the tropicals that it ought to
sort you out.

It's worth buying, if you can't find it in a library. His other famous
book, "Understanding Wood" is even better.

no(SPAM)vasys April 23rd 05 10:04 PM

Rory Manton wrote:
Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if
anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.

I have been told that it is eather cuban mahogany or (excuse spelling
please) Seclie ( some type of tree from the same family, sorry brains gone)
could anybody tell me anything about eather wood which would help identify
it.

Sorry I cant be more helpfull and ,once again sorry for butting in .

Thank you.

For Cuban mahogany see:

http://www.bluemoonexoticwood.com/specs_mahog.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

[email protected] April 24th 05 03:43 AM

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/woodsampler.html
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Got a bunch of pictures of wood there. Have a look and see if any of
them match.

HTH,

-Phil Crow

Rory Manton April 24th 05 05:32 PM

in article , Doug Miller at
wrote on 23/4/05 1:15 pm:

In article , "Rory Manton"
wrote:
Sorry for butting in without lurking a bit first but was wondering if
anybody could help me find out about a couple of planks I have.

Post pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking - it's kinda hard to
identify wood without seeing it.

--
Regards,

Sorry I can't do that (at the moment) as my camera has gone u/s.

If it helps the wood had lots of little white flecks inbedded in the grain,
like very fine sand. This goes through the wood and appears on each cut
edge..

What i realy need to know is whether I need to move the diesel engine that
is sitting on it off !