Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How long can you keep scammers on the phone?

Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the call
dropped.

They wanted me to use:
eventvwr
www.ultraviewer.net
www.takesupport.us
www.remotepc.com
www.teamviewer.com
appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner software!)

Hopefully I save another victim.

I was doing other things including making a meal so very little time
wasted for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxx
writes
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the call
dropped.

They wanted me to use:
eventvwr
www.ultraviewer.net
www.takesupport.us
www.remotepc.com
www.teamviewer.com
appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner software!)

Hopefully I save another victim.

I was doing other things including making a meal so very little time
wasted for me.

They only ever call here between 1.00 and 2.00pm. Today, Michael wanted
to talk about my Windows machine:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 14:59:13 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Fredxx
writes
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the call
dropped.

They wanted me to use:
eventvwr
www.ultraviewer.net
www.takesupport.us
www.remotepc.com
www.teamviewer.com
appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner software!)

Hopefully I save another victim.

I was doing other things including making a meal so very little time
wasted for me.

They only ever call here between 1.00 and 2.00pm. Today, Michael wanted
to talk about my Windows machine:-)

I like it when they say they are 'from' 'Windows', in the same way I
like the SPAM chancers who come up with some story that might be
convincing, were it not for all the typos and technical errors. ;-)

This is in comparison with the real cyber criminals who do actually
ruin peoples lives etc.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/18 14:59, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Fredxx writes
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the
call dropped.

They wanted me to use:
eventvwr
www.ultraviewer.net
www.takesupport.us
www.remotepc.com
www.teamviewer.com
appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner software!)

Hopefully I save another victim.

I was doing other things including making a meal so very little time
wasted for me.

They only ever call here between 1.00 and 2.00pm. Today, Michael wanted
to talk about my Windows machine:-)

Yup. Is that or my BT phone line and broadband.

I dont have either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the call
dropped.

They wanted me to use:
eventvwr
www.ultraviewer.net
www.takesupport.us
www.remotepc.com
www.teamviewer.com
appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner software!)

Hopefully I save another victim.

I was doing other things including making a meal so very little time
wasted for me.

Ive had a large string of attempted calls from a Sheffield number,
ironically supposedly about nuisance calls. They never once left a message
on my call blocker though. Only found out about their game from one of
those who called me websites.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/01/18 14:59, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Fredxx
writes
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the
call dropped.

They wanted me to use:
eventvwr
www.ultraviewer.net
www.takesupport.us
www.remotepc.com
www.teamviewer.com
appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner software!)

Hopefully I save another victim.

I was doing other things including making a meal so very little time
wasted for me.

They only ever call here between 1.00 and 2.00pm. Today, Michael
wanted to talk about my Windows machine:-)

Yup. Is that or my BT phone line and broadband.

I dont have either.

49 minutes is a fine record. Well done.

I haven't had one of these fine calls for a while. I tend to tell the
callers how bad scamming is for their souls/karma. So, perhaps one of
them cleansed his conscience by taking me off the list?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 January 2018 15:38:19 UTC, GB wrote:
[...]

Yep, I've not managed more than 15mins. :-(

The most amusing one was when I was asked for my ban account number so they could ID me, I told them to hang on, then I said Yes it's defenatly me on the phone I just looked in the bathroom mirror and it's definantly me talking.
I'm still not sure if it was a scam or not. After a few more attemps we sort of mutually gave up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the
call dropped.

They wanted me to use:
eventvwr
www.ultraviewer.net
www.takesupport.us
www.remotepc.com
www.teamviewer.com
appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner
software!)
Hopefully I save another victim.

I was doing other things including making a meal so very little time
wasted for me.

I asked "Windows Technical" where she got my phone number from?
"Microsoft gave it to us".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 15:38:14 +0000, GB
wrote:
snip

I haven't had one of these fine calls for a while. I tend to tell the
callers how bad scamming is for their souls/karma. So, perhaps one of
them cleansed his conscience by taking me off the list?

LOL

My Mrs uses a similar technique but I'm not sure it sounds quite as
good for their karma as yours does. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/19/2018 3:38 PM, GB wrote:
[...]

I had six calls yesterday and one today all from different people in the
same company telling me about my car accident and how £4000 was owed to
me..strung them all along until they got angry..tee hee...all because I
put my phone number on an advert on gumtree ....got a text today as well
from the DVLA telling me about the £61 road tax refund I am owed...is
the world just full of parasites these days or what .....?

--
Jinkies !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/18 17:30, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
..is the world just full of parasites these days or what .....?

Ther world is full ofparasites,. Robots do all the work.
Film 4. 9pm. watch.

--
A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
We did this ourselves.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 1/19/2018 3:38 PM, GB wrote:
[...]

.....?

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
At my old home we were inundated with the paki *******s ring us. Subscribed
and the calls almost stopped.
Took TPS to our new home. We may get two calls per week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/01/2018 18:30, Jethro_uk wrote:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html At my old home we were
inundated with the paki *******s ring us. Subscribed and the calls
almost stopped.
Took TPS to our new home. We may get two calls per week.

Do you need a landline ?

Why would crooks respect a TPS listing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 4:18:24 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the
call dropped.

They wanted me to use:
eventvwr
www.ultraviewer.net
www.takesupport.us
www.remotepc.com
www.teamviewer.com
appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner
software!)
Hopefully I save another victim.

I was doing other things including making a meal so very little time
wasted for me.

I asked "Windows Technical" where she got my phone number from?
"Microsoft gave it to us".

I have invoked Vishnu in the past which seemed to have a bit of an effect, this is an interesting article about the other end of the phone https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...ded-job-market
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the call
dropped.

Three hours is my record, including having a shower while their malware
downloaded over my 'very slow internet'.

Strangely they never bothered me again...

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 19/01/2018 18:30, Jethro_uk wrote:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html At my old home we were
inundated with the paki *******s ring us. Subscribed and the calls
almost stopped.
Took TPS to our new home. We may get two calls per week.

Do you need a landline ?

Why would crooks respect a TPS listing?

I don't care what they respect. I'm saying that TPS worked for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/19/2018 7:59 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
GB wrote:
On 19/01/2018 18:30, Jethro_uk wrote:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html At my old home we were
inundated with the paki *******s ring us. Subscribed and the calls
almost stopped.
Took TPS to our new home. We may get two calls per week.

Do you need a landline ?

Why would crooks respect a TPS listing?

I don't care what they respect. I'm saying that TPS worked for me.

and me ......never had one since and that was years ago...I thought it
only lasted so long?......

--
Jinkies !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 1/19/2018 3:38 PM, GB wrote:
[...]

we all do ...mobiles are unreliable and you can switch them off.....

--
Jinkies !
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

GB wrote:
On 19/01/2018 18:30, Jethro_uk wrote:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html At my old home we were
inundated with the paki *******s ring us. Subscribed and the calls
almost stopped.
Took TPS to our new home. We may get two calls per week.

Do you need a landline ?

Why would crooks respect a TPS listing?

I don't care what they respect. I'm saying that TPS worked for me.

and me ......never had one since and that was years ago...I thought it
only lasted so long?......

I've been on TPS for many years, but I still get scammers. Maybe I get
fewer, but how would I know.

Were I the scamming type, I'd ask TPS for a copy of their list.
Marvellous! Verified phone numbers that don't get too many calls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire submitted this idea :
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
At my old home we were inundated with the paki *******s ring us. Subscribed
and the calls almost stopped.
Took TPS to our new home. We may get two calls per week.

Your old number was obviously on a list and the new number after you
moved, not on the scammers list. My experience of the TPS is that it
makes no difference to those who might choose to ring, in the UK or
from outside the UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy laid this down on his screen :
I have invoked Vishnu in the past which seemed to have a bit of an effect,
this is an interesting article about the other end of the phone
https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...ded-job-market

A good read and very informative, thank you!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2018 14:03, Fredxx wrote:
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the call
dropped.

Well done.

I don't have that much patience. I just say "Hang on a minute" and put
the receiver on the table.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2018 21:54, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/01/2018 14:03, Fredxx wrote:
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the
call dropped.

Well done.

I don't have that much patience. I just say "Hang on a minute" and put
the receiver on the table.

Well, half of that time was waiting for my allegedly 10 year old desktop
to boot up, twice in fact because we got cut off for a 1/2 minute,
during which time I turned the PC off, of course. I was asked if it was XP!!

Because I said these websites were blocked, he wanted to go through my
installed programs in control panel, and I said one was Epson Scan. The
not so bright operator wanted me to uninstall this, presumably in belief
it was this application that was blocking access to these remote control
websites.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 January 2018 18:25:17 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
At my old home we were inundated with the paki *******s ring us. Subscribed
and the calls almost stopped.
Took TPS to our new home. We may get two calls per week.

I'm not on TPS, I get less than 1 malicious call a month.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2018 21:54, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/01/2018 14:03, Fredxx wrote:
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the
call dropped.

Well done.

I don't have that much patience. I just say "Hang on a minute" and put
the receiver on the table.

Andy

I have even less patience and replace the receiver without speaking further.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 1/19/2018 3:38 PM, GB wrote:
[...]

Becoming a thing of the past here with fibre, phones will almost all be
voip type some day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 12:37:31 AM UTC, Dave W wrote:
On 19/01/2018 21:54, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/01/2018 14:03, Fredxx wrote:
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the
call dropped.

Well done.

I don't have that much patience. I just say "Hang on a minute" and put
the receiver on the table.

Andy

I have even less patience and replace the receiver without speaking further.

Same here. I often think I'd like to string scammers along, but in the rare event I get a call, I just can't be bothered.

I did get a call at work asking about my accident.
"Which one?" I replied.
"The accident you had."
"I have lots of accidents. What date do you have?"
"You have to give me details about the accident"
"You're not being very helpful" I said, at which point he hung up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 January 2018 02:17:04 UTC, FMurtz wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 1/19/2018 6:30 PM, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:24:23 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Do you need a landline ?

we all do ...mobiles are unreliable and you can switch them off.....

Becoming a thing of the past here with fibre, phones will almost all be
voip type some day.

I've wanted to drop the landline for years, but mobile is just not reliable enough. Too often the sound quality is hard to follow.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 1/19/2018 6:30 PM, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:24:23 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Do you need a landline ?

we all do ...mobiles are unreliable and you can switch them off.....

Becoming a thing of the past here with fibre, phones will almost all be
voip type some day.

I've wanted to drop the landline for years, but mobile is just not
reliable enough. Too often the sound quality is hard to follow.

and yountend to need a landline to access the internet

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

and yountend to need a landline to access the internet

Unless you use Virgin.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 January 2018 11:05:37 UTC, charles wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 1/19/2018 6:30 PM, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:24:23 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Do you need a landline ?

we all do ...mobiles are unreliable and you can switch them off.....

Becoming a thing of the past here with fibre, phones will almost all be
voip type some day.

I've wanted to drop the landline for years, but mobile is just not
reliable enough. Too often the sound quality is hard to follow.

and yountend to need a landline to access the internet

Someone should tell Virgin & Sky

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 1/19/2018 6:30 PM, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:24:23 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Do you need a landline ?

we all do ...mobiles are unreliable and you can switch them
off.....

Becoming a thing of the past here with fibre, phones will almost all
be
voip type some day.

I've wanted to drop the landline for years, but mobile is just not
reliable enough. Too often the sound quality is hard to follow.

and yountend to need a landline to access the internet

Someone should tell Virgin & Sky

Dunno about Sky,

but with Virgin you need to have a LL in order to achieve a lower total
tariff, than if you don't have one.

BTDTGTTS

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
charles wrote:

and you tend to need a landline to access the internet

Unless you use Virgin.

how does that reach your house, then? My daughter's Virgin service comes in
via underground cable. Do you discount this as a land line?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

I've wanted to drop the landline for years, but mobile is just not
reliable enough. Too often the sound quality is hard to follow.

and yountend to need a landline to access the internet

Someone should tell Virgin & Sky

Dunno about Sky,

but with Virgin you need to have a LL in order to achieve a lower total
tariff, than if you don't have one.

BTDTGTTS

tim

their choice of pricing structure has nothing to do with the fact that one can hae net without landline

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:15:20 +0000
Chris J Dixon wrote:

charles wrote:

and yountend to need a landline to access the internet

Unless you use Virgin.

Chris

If Virgin is available in your area, of course.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

I've wanted to drop the landline for years, but mobile is just not
reliable enough. Too often the sound quality is hard to follow.

and yountend to need a landline to access the internet

Someone should tell Virgin & Sky

Dunno about Sky,

but with Virgin you need to have a LL in order to achieve a lower total
tariff, than if you don't have one.

BTDTGTTS

tim

their choice of pricing structure has nothing to do with the fact that
one can hae net without landline

you've forgotten the "from BT". Or do you rely on a satellite service?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 January 2018 11:52:55 UTC, charles wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

I've wanted to drop the landline for years, but mobile is just not
reliable enough. Too often the sound quality is hard to follow.

and yountend to need a landline to access the internet

Someone should tell Virgin & Sky

Dunno about Sky,

but with Virgin you need to have a LL in order to achieve a lower total
tariff, than if you don't have one.

BTDTGTTS

tim

their choice of pricing structure has nothing to do with the fact that
one can hae net without landline

you've forgotten the "from BT". Or do you rely on a satellite service?

I'm not making any sense of either of those sentences

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/20/2018 11:04 AM, charles wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 1/19/2018 6:30 PM, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:24:23 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Do you need a landline ?

we all do ...mobiles are unreliable and you can switch them off.....

Becoming a thing of the past here with fibre, phones will almost all be
voip type some day.

I've wanted to drop the landline for years, but mobile is just not
reliable enough. Too often the sound quality is hard to follow.

and yountend to need a landline to access the internet

not with cable shirley?...I could cut mine off and keep the internet
with virgin ....

--
Jinkies !