Mark S.

Default External render question

The turnips that owned my house had it rendered with the usual pebble
dash type stuff at some point.

However they picked the cheep option I presume because the cowboys
didn't remove the previous render (original I think) so it's blown all
over the place. It's worst on the rear wall.

Bits have lifted off and fallen off over the past two years but I've
other things to do so I've just left it be and swept up when it falls
off.

However this crappy weather has forced a big sheet off (4 x 6) at a
guess which was on the floor when I went round tonight so that's now
bagged up to go to the tip Saturday.
History lesson over. ;-)

How important is this render in the first place?

I ask because the house isn't running with damp (ok it's "damp" a bit
but there's no central heating as such). The walls aren't running
with it etc.

Given that it's solid concrete construction (foot thick) what's the
render actually doing?

Mark S.
Michael Mcneil

"Mark S." wrote in message

However they picked the cheap option I presume because the cowboys
didn't remove the previous render (original I think) so it's blown all
over the place. It's worst on the rear wall.
However this crappy weather has forced a big sheet off (4 x 6)
How important is this render in the first place?
I ask because the house isn't running with damp. The walls aren't running
with it etc.

Given that it's solid concrete construction (foot thick) what's the
render actually doing?

Your walls are 12" solid concrete?

Beats me. The first layer must have started weathering so they cowboyed
it for a quick sale by the sound of it. Sounds like a few days with a
Kango are looming. Then a week with a plastering float or some
panelling.

Jerry Built

"Mark S." wrote:
However this crappy weather has forced a big sheet off (4 x 6)
at a guess which was on the floor when I went round tonight so
that's now bagged up to go to the tip Saturday.

On the ground outside, I assume?

How important is this render in the first place?

I ask because the house isn't running with damp (ok it's "damp"
a bit but there's no central heating as such). The walls aren't
running with it etc.

Given that it's solid concrete construction (foot thick) what's
the render actually doing?

You've concrete walls! That's unusual. I expect that the render
is there only there for decorative reasons.

I was going to suggest that the reason that the render is falling
off is because it's harder than what's underneath, but if it's
concrete that should not be the case. Perhaps the original house
or render was painted with something before being rendered?

How old is this very interesting abode?

J.B.

Mark S.

On 20 Aug 2004 17:16:15 -0000, Jerry Built
wrote:

"Mark S." wrote:
[...]

Well a bit misleading in that they are poured concrete not "solid"
like a bunker so my bad there guys, sorry. :-)

The stuff you see on TV where they fasten a load of polystyrene boxes
with wire then fill them with concrete well this is a 1955 version of
that idea minus the polystyrene. So the walls are as thick as the
usual but with no cavity.

The stuff is like a concrete slurry mixed with pebble/ballast type
material set hard.

The exterior walls have a coat of cement render that's thin then they
had another coat of some seriously sandy render with chippings this
was painted poo brown then at some point (long before I bought it) had
another very sandy and thick render with the more usual chippings over
the top.

Yes it was outside, arm down the drain tomorrow to fish the stuff out
of there. :-(

No need for a kango that's for sure, I poked off the bits left on
after the two falls with a stick. lol. Secure it ain't.

Only reason the back wall is so bad is the cowboy guttering next door
runs the wrong way and overflows at my end.

Mark S.

N. Thornton

Mark S. wrote in message . ..

[...]

Sounds like a good opportunity to remove it all. Render increases damp
more often than it reduces it, as the net flow of water is from inside
out, not from outside in. Humans produce loads of water vapour every
day, then theres showers etc.

The only time I'd be cautious about removing it is if the concrete
wall is disintegrating, and the render is being questionably used to
hold it together.

I would think it is there for decoration only.

Regards, NT

IMM

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
m...
Mark S. wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Only if it is not done properly.

as the net flow of water is from inside
out, not from outside in. Humans produce
loads of water vapour every
day, then theres showers etc.

Very true, Some of the goons here don't know that, and think that humidity
can be higher outside a house than in.

The only time I'd be cautious about removing it is if the concrete
wall is disintegrating, and the render is being questionably used to
hold it together.

I would think it is there for decoration only.

The best is to install exterior foam high performing insulation. This
building would need some. Some of this foam can be rendered directly. Some
needs a board over for the render to be applied. Exterior insulation is a
great idea as it virtually eliminates cold bridging.

Mark S.

On 20 Aug 2004 23:52:05 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

Mark S. wrote in message . ..

[...]

The walls are no way disintegrating, Thank god for SDS coz anything
else would be useless. ;-)

From what I've taken off inside and out on the walls they seem to have
a top coat of a cement type "plaster" as the concrete itself is uneven
due to the pebbles/agregate they are made up of.

I'll take some pics today and post a link so you can all have a nosey.
:-)

Mark S.

N. Thornton

"IMM" wrote in message ...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message

Sounds like a good opportunity to remove it all.
Render increases damp more often than it
reduces it,

Only if it is not done properly.

wrong

as the net flow of water is from inside
out, not from outside in. Humans produce
loads of water vapour every
day, then theres showers etc.

Very true, Some of the goons here don't know that, and think that humidity
can be higher outside a house than in.

RH can be, and often is.

The only time I'd be cautious about removing it is if the concrete
wall is disintegrating, and the render is being questionably used to
hold it together.

I would think it is there for decoration only.

The best is to install exterior foam high performing insulation. This
building would need some. Some of this foam can be rendered directly. Some
needs a board over for the render to be applied. Exterior insulation is a
great idea as it virtually eliminates cold bridging.

wrong, as usual. The best insulation is 2 combi boilers of course!

Regards, NT
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

"Mark S." wrote:

[...]

Ive seen this type of construction a lot abroad - anything from precast
concrete blocks filled with cement down the holes to actual cast on site
shuittered concrete.

Its great in hot climates because of teh thermal mass.

Its normal to render it with stucco type finsishes - possibly as extra
weather proofing, but more likley to just have a decorative finish.

I've seen 'cinder blocks' and celcon type blockwork done the same way -
they need the render as they are porous.

Pesronally I'd strip it, re render it and paint it, and, it its truly
solid, dry line it with insualation. It will be fabilously congforatble
and reasonably good looking if you do.

You could re-pebble dash it if you like that finish. I hate it, but its
low maintenance.

Or you could drill holes and tie a brick facing on the outside with
insulation batts between.

Lots of options.

Mark S.

wrote:

"Mark S." wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

From the bit I've seen in the loft that's not "skimmed" it was some
kind of metal mesh that was removed after pouring and setting.

I would have to agree with the thermal mass comment. It seems to stay
"comfy" inside when it's cooling down in the evenings and the times
I've slept over there not that cold with even minimal heating,
obviously takes longer in the winter to warm the mass up but it's not
Spain etc. :-)

I hate the chippings in render finish, it just flakes off and makes a
mess around the outside of the house not to mention catching yourself
on it while working outside.

Mark S.

IMM

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"IMM" wrote in message

"N. Thornton" wrote in message

Sounds like a good opportunity to remove it all.
Render increases damp more often than it
reduces it,

Only if it is not done properly.

wrong

right!!!

Houses in wind driven regions: Ireland, Cornwall, Brittany, Wales, Scotland,
etc, always render to keep the water "out".

as the net flow of water is from inside
out, not from outside in. Humans produce
loads of water vapour every
day, then theres showers etc.

Very true, Some of the goons here don't know that, and think that

humidity
can be higher outside a house than in.

RH can be, and often is.

Very rare, especially when people are in a house. Moisture laden air from
outside has to enter the house and then the moisture levels is increased by
human activity.

The only time I'd be cautious about removing it is if the concrete
wall is disintegrating, and the render is being questionably used to
hold it together.

I would think it is there for decoration only.

The best is to install exterior foam high performing insulation. This
building would need some. Some of this foam can be rendered directly.

Some
needs a board over for the render to be applied. Exterior insulation is

great idea as it virtually eliminates cold bridging.

wrong, as usual. The best insulation is 2 combi boilers of course!

If you say so. You could clad the exterior in old combi's, now that will
keep the rain off.