Jerry Built

"Mark S." wrote:
However this crappy weather has forced a big sheet off (4 x 6)
at a guess which was on the floor when I went round tonight so
that's now bagged up to go to the tip Saturday.

On the ground outside, I assume?

How important is this render in the first place?

I ask because the house isn't running with damp (ok it's "damp"
a bit but there's no central heating as such). The walls aren't
running with it etc.

Given that it's solid concrete construction (foot thick) what's
the render actually doing?

You've concrete walls! That's unusual. I expect that the render
is there only there for decorative reasons.

I was going to suggest that the reason that the render is falling
off is because it's harder than what's underneath, but if it's
concrete that should not be the case. Perhaps the original house
or render was painted with something before being rendered?

How old is this very interesting abode?

J.B.