Cold Water Tank Valve

Old February 13th 04, 10:22 AM
Mal

Default Cold Water Tank Valve

I need to replace the inlet valve on the cold water tank in the roof (it's
leaking, and I want a silent fill design too).

I haven't seen anything specifically made for cold water tanks, so do I use
the same valve as in a toilet cistern?

Mal

Old February 13th 04, 10:53 AM
Set Square

Mal wrote:

I need to replace the inlet valve on the cold water tank in the roof
(it's leaking, and I want a silent fill design too).

I haven't seen anything specifically made for cold water tanks, so do
I use the same valve as in a toilet cistern?

Mal

You can use a standard ball valve, such as Screwfix D14542.

If you want a silent fill, you could use a Torbeck valve such as Screwfix
D14716. This provides full flow until virtually the last minute when the
required level is obtained - and discharges via a flexible plastic tube with
extends below the water level. Be aware though that this type of valve
provides a lot less adjustment of water level than is possible by bending
the arm of a conventional ball valve. This could be a problem if the
overflow pipe is a bit low - because the Torbeck may not be able to shut off
before the overflow level is reached.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Old February 13th 04, 10:59 AM
Mal

I wish my problem with the overflow was just about it being too low. My
problem with the overflow is that the knucklehead who installed it didn't
weld the joints together (and it runs uphill!)

That's how I found out my valve didn't shut off properly - when I came back
from a two week holiday I found my brand new bathroom ceiling stained brown,
and water dripping out of the overflow pipe joints :-(

Old February 13th 04, 06:52 PM
John Stumbles

"Mal" wrote in message
I need to replace the inlet valve on the cold water tank in the roof (it's
leaking, and I want a silent fill design too).

I haven't seen anything specifically made for cold water tanks, so do I

use
the same valve as in a toilet cistern?

You can use a Torbeck or other equilibrium valve (e.g. McDee) or Fluidmaster
etc. Check that there's enough range of adjustment on the float to allow you
to set the correct water level in the tank - on cold water tanks you
sometimes need the level to be sevral inches below where the valve is
physically mounted (to keep the level below the overflow) and valves
designed basically for WC fitting don't always have enough range of
adjustment.

If you just want a quiet fill from a standard Part 2 diaphragm type float
valve (like http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11518) you can
just hang a bit of e.g. overflow pipe over the plastic filling thing so the
water runs down inside the pipe without splashing. You must make sure there
is NOT an airtight connection between your bit of pipe and the white plastic
bit on the valve (so water couldn't get sucked back up the pipe and into the
valve and thereby the water supply if there were a partial vacuum in the
main supply pipe - water regulations).

Cold Water Storage Tank Martin UK diy 5 December 29th 03 08:06 PM
Contemplating unvented Indirect hot water upgrade vortex2 UK diy 21 December 3rd 03 11:51 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM