John Stumbles

Default Cold Water Tank Valve

"Mal" wrote in message
I need to replace the inlet valve on the cold water tank in the roof (it's
leaking, and I want a silent fill design too).

I haven't seen anything specifically made for cold water tanks, so do I

use
the same valve as in a toilet cistern?

You can use a Torbeck or other equilibrium valve (e.g. McDee) or Fluidmaster
etc. Check that there's enough range of adjustment on the float to allow you
to set the correct water level in the tank - on cold water tanks you
sometimes need the level to be sevral inches below where the valve is
physically mounted (to keep the level below the overflow) and valves
designed basically for WC fitting don't always have enough range of
adjustment.

If you just want a quiet fill from a standard Part 2 diaphragm type float
valve (like http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11518) you can
just hang a bit of e.g. overflow pipe over the plastic filling thing so the
water runs down inside the pipe without splashing. You must make sure there
is NOT an airtight connection between your bit of pipe and the white plastic
bit on the valve (so water couldn't get sucked back up the pipe and into the
valve and thereby the water supply if there were a partial vacuum in the
main supply pipe - water regulations).