Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woodlice

Hi

I know this has been proberly asked hundreds of times before, but I
appear to be over run with woodlice - mainly dead ones. I know they
are harmless and are attracted to and from damp, but for the life of
me cannot find where they are coming from (I know they have come from
outside!). Has anyone any sensible useful tips for tracking them down
to stop them, or a professional source to help me.

Many Thanks

Alec
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Woodlice have no teeth.

They can exist in cavity walls if there is any suitable material - birds nests, wood, which will most likely be damp enough at its surface to sustain them. Then they can make their way inside - such as around or through the ends of your joists :-)

They can exist in kitchens & bathrooms, or underfloors where a chimney vents to the under floor and lets moisture in (often directly if a pepperpot chimney cap).

If you are finding dead woodlice, they are coming in from somewhere - which may well be outside - and then finding no food source inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alec green" wrote in message
Hi

I know this has been proberly asked hundreds of times before, but I
appear to be over run with woodlice - mainly dead ones. I know they
are harmless and are attracted to and from damp, but for the life of
me cannot find where they are coming from (I know they have come from
outside!). Has anyone any sensible useful tips for tracking them down
to stop them, or a professional source to help me.

Many Thanks

Alec

I shouldn't worry too much. They will do no harm to you or your property.
Unsightly perhaps but so are many other creatures that you really don't want
to live with. This has been a wet and warm season, perfect conditions for
woodlice. When my oldest son was a toddler, 30 yrs ago, he played with a
wood louse and named it Eric. Since then all have been treated with respect
and named Eric. None of the family have ever known anybody named Eric. Odd
things children.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alec green wrote:
Hi

I know this has been proberly asked hundreds of times before, but I
appear to be over run with woodlice - mainly dead ones. I know they
are harmless and are attracted to and from damp, but for the life of
me cannot find where they are coming from (I know they have come from
outside!). Has anyone any sensible useful tips for tracking them down
to stop them, or a professional source to help me.

You shouldn't be looking for 'where they are coming from', this is an
irrelevance, you should be looking for what is attracting them?

Where are you seeing them most?

if it's the kitchen or bathroom, you probably have an unnoticed leak -
woodlice can't live without moisture, so they've done you a favour here by
pointing out that you have a damp problem somewhere along the line, cure
this and the chiggy-pigs will disappear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cure this and the chiggy-pigs will disappear.

Don't talk about Eric like that :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 10:24:46 -0700 (PDT), alec green
wrote:

Hi

I know this has been proberly asked hundreds of times before, but I
appear to be over run with woodlice - mainly dead ones. I know they
are harmless and are attracted to and from damp, but for the life of
me cannot find where they are coming from (I know they have come from
outside!). Has anyone any sensible useful tips for tracking them down
to stop them, or a professional source to help me.

Many Thanks

Alec

Got any bark mulch in the garden? Start nearest where they are in the
house and work away. They'll be in dead plants or rotting wood. Even
under leaves. A tidy up will fnd them.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Woodlice problem alec green UK diy 20 July 30th 18 06:48 AM
Woodlice Jo UK diy 32 March 23rd 06 06:50 PM
re woodlice fred UK diy 3 March 21st 06 08:26 PM
woodlice epecially when it rains Nospam UK diy 7 October 11th 05 07:36 PM