Sticky Binoculars

Old August 17th 12, 09:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sticky Binoculars

We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch. Washing up liquid and other
gentle cleaners have had no effect.

Any other possible ways of removing the stickiness? (Apart from angle
grinders, of course).

--
Ian
Old August 17th 12, 09:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

HellyB wrote:

We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch.

Dunno if it always happens with age, or just to items handled by certain
people with a particular composition of sweat/grease on their skin ...
my old mice wheels go that way if left for a year or two.

Old August 17th 12, 09:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2012 20:06, HellyB wrote:
We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch. Washing up liquid and other
gentle cleaners have had no effect.

Any other possible ways of removing the stickiness? (Apart from angle
grinders, of course).

perhaps a dusting of talc or cornstarch would help...

--
Cheers,

John.

Old August 17th 12, 09:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
HellyB wrote:

We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch.

Dunno if it always happens with age, or just to items handled by
certain people with a particular composition of sweat/grease on their
skin ... my old mice wheels go that way if left for a year or two.

My wife has 'lost' several pairs of shoes (some absolutely unworn)
because the rubber soles have become sticky - a bit like chewing gum.

I think all of the shoes had been put away for several years, and kept
in their original shoeboxes, which while certainly not air-tight, would
have had very little flow of air through them.

I have a similar problem with a pair of PMR446 walkie-talkies, which now
have sticky rubber cases.

The conclusion I have come to is that the solvent in the rubber has
probably gradually evaporated, and being trapped in the box and unable
to disperse, has reacted with the rubber (partially dissolving its
surface).

I've since kept the walkie-talkies in a box with an ill-fitting lid, and
I reckon the stickiness is slowly beginning to disappear. Maybe the
binoculars would respond similarly.
--
Ian
Old August 17th 12, 10:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

**** - you still have mice with wheels?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old August 17th 12, 10:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

**** - you still have mice with wheels?

With scrollwheels - yes doesn't everyone?
With balls instead of optical - no.

Old August 18th 12, 12:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:03:52 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

**** - you still have mice with wheels?

With scrollwheels - yes doesn't everyone? With balls instead of optical
- no.

I keep thinking I should try and find a bollocked rodent - optical ones
seem to have a liking for dog hair, and wig out completely when it blocks
the optics. At least this 'ere Dell mouse doesn't have a red glowing bum
though, unlike its predecessor.

cheers

Jules
Old August 18th 12, 12:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 20:12:52 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

HellyB wrote:

We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch.

Dunno if it always happens with age, or just to items handled by certain
people with a particular composition of sweat/grease on their skin ...
my old mice wheels go that way if left for a year or two.

I've seen it plenty of times with rubber pinch rollers in tape drives,
but it seems quite random and independent of use, storage conditions etc.

Sadly I don't think there's a cure - once it's started going like that
it'll just get worse :-(

cheers

Jules