Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Sticky Binoculars

Brian-Gaff wrote

That liquid has loads of uses like this. I got mine from CPC.

The problem of sticky surfaces has now started to happen on the handle of
my long white cane. Seems the people who make these rubbery substances
cannot make one that lasts for more than a few years.

Plenty of mine have.

"G_Evans" wrote in
message oups.com...
replying to Heather, G_Evans wrote:
Heather wrote:

I had the same problem and got it off very easily with isopropyl
alcohol -
rubbing alcohol. We had alcohol prep pads in the medicine cabinet for
first

aid,
so I didn't even need a trip to the store. After a little rubbing, the

surface
is as good as new. Since the alcohol seemed to have a dissolving effect,

was
sure to wash the binoculars with mild soap afterwards so that the
alcohol
wouldn't work on the surface longer than I wanted it to. I hear the
rubber

will
continue to deteriorate and get sticky over time, so I may have to
repeat

the
procedure in the future, but as of right now, I saved $75 replacing the
binoculars! Hope this helps!

Thanks Heather,
I tried the Isopopyl Alcohol on my sticky binoculars and it worked
perfectly. The sticky rubber was very easily removed and they now look
like black
plastic binoculars with no rubber coating (and they seem fine now!).

Thanks for the excellent advice!