Posted to uk.d-i-y
G_Evans G_Evans is offline

Default Sticky Binoculars

replying to Heather, G_Evans wrote:
Heather wrote:

I had the same problem and got it off very easily with isopropyl alcohol -
rubbing alcohol. We had alcohol prep pads in the medicine cabinet for first

aid,
so I didn't even need a trip to the store. After a little rubbing, the

surface
is as good as new. Since the alcohol seemed to have a dissolving effect, I

was
sure to wash the binoculars with mild soap afterwards so that the alcohol
wouldn't work on the surface longer than I wanted it to. I hear the rubber

will
continue to deteriorate and get sticky over time, so I may have to repeat

the
procedure in the future, but as of right now, I saved $75 replacing the
binoculars! Hope this helps!

Thanks Heather,
I tried the Isopopyl Alcohol on my sticky binoculars and it worked
perfectly.
The sticky rubber was very easily removed and they now look like black
plastic binoculars with no rubber coating (and they seem fine now!).

Thanks for the excellent advice!