Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lintel...which one?

I am building over a flat roof garage which has a cavity wall except for the
front. Wall to be brick outer and block inner.
I need to put a cavity lintel over the front and this will be 3450mm long.
There is a choice of standard or heavy duty.

Which one do I need? The HD one is £200+ dearer than the standard. It's no
good asking the manufacturer as they just say have a structural eng. decide.
So can anyone tell me a typical application for each grade of lintel?

Thanks

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 3:46 pm, "mark" wrote:
I am building over a flat roof garage which has a cavity wall except for the
front. Wall to be brick outer and block inner.
I need to put a cavity lintel over the front and this will be 3450mm long.
There is a choice of standard or heavy duty.

Which one do I need? The HD one is 200+ dearer than the standard. It's no
good asking the manufacturer as they just say have a structural eng. decide.
So can anyone tell me a typical application for each grade of lintel?

Thanks

mark

won;t your Building Inspector want a say in this?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Jun 13, 3:46 pm, "mark" wrote:
I am building over a flat roof garage which has a cavity wall except for
the
front. Wall to be brick outer and block inner.
I need to put a cavity lintel over the front and this will be 3450mm
long.
There is a choice of standard or heavy duty.

Which one do I need? The HD one is 200+ dearer than the standard. It's
no
good asking the manufacturer as they just say have a structural eng.
decide.
So can anyone tell me a typical application for each grade of lintel?

Thanks

mark

won;t your Building Inspector want a say in this?

The BCO wants to see the lintel in place on her next visit.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 5:06 pm, "mark" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

On Jun 13, 3:46 pm, "mark" wrote:
I am building over a flat roof garage which has a cavity wall except for
the
front. Wall to be brick outer and block inner.
I need to put a cavity lintel over the front and this will be 3450mm
long.
There is a choice of standard or heavy duty.

Which one do I need? The HD one is 200+ dearer than the standard. It's
no
good asking the manufacturer as they just say have a structural eng.
decide.
So can anyone tell me a typical application for each grade of lintel?

Thanks

mark

won;t your Building Inspector want a say in this?

The BCO wants to see the lintel in place on her next visit.

mark

best ask her what she expects to see then? otherwise you may end up
doing it twice....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:46:24 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
"mark" , randomly hit the keyboard and
wrote:

So can anyone tell me a typical application for each grade of lintel?

It's to do with the loads on the lintel. The catalogues usually give a
safe working load (SWL). Wall loads are about 4.5kN/m^2, floors (in
dwellings) are about 2.0-2.25kN/m^2, roofs are between 1.5-2.5kN/m^2.
Multiply by the areas bearing onto the lintel, add a bit more to be on
the safe side, and you have you SWL.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Jun 13, 3:46 pm, "mark" wrote:
I am building over a flat roof garage which has a cavity wall except for
the
front. Wall to be brick outer and block inner.
I need to put a cavity lintel over the front and this will be 3450mm long.
There is a choice of standard or heavy duty.

Which one do I need? The HD one is £200+ dearer than the standard. It's no
good asking the manufacturer as they just say have a structural eng.
decide.
So can anyone tell me a typical application for each grade of lintel?

Thanks

mark

If you only have a couple of rows of blocks over it, the light one
will be sufficient. If it is the full triangle you will need the heavy
one.

Very important.
Before you start piling blocks on a long metal beam, support it in the
middle off the ground with a bit of timber (4"X2"). Remove when the
cement has set.
If you don't do this, the beam will sag.

It will have a bedroom above, brick and block wall with a conventional tiled
roof. Wall will have a large window.

I'll remember the tip. Or maybe let it set for a few days before loading.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So can anyone tell me a typical application for each grade of lintel?

It's to do with the loads on the lintel. The catalogues usually give a
safe working load (SWL). Wall loads are about 4.5kN/m^2, floors (in
dwellings) are about 2.0-2.25kN/m^2, roofs are between 1.5-2.5kN/m^2.
Multiply by the areas bearing onto the lintel, add a bit more to be on
the safe side, and you have you SWL.
--

I think I understand what your saying but working out areas is the tricky
bit for me. I can do the maths but determining the areas of wall and roof

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So can anyone tell me a typical application for each grade of lintel?

It's to do with the loads on the lintel. The catalogues usually give a
safe working load (SWL). Wall loads are about 4.5kN/m^2, floors (in
dwellings) are about 2.0-2.25kN/m^2, roofs are between 1.5-2.5kN/m^2.
Multiply by the areas bearing onto the lintel, add a bit more to be on
the safe side, and you have you SWL.
--

I think I understand what your saying but *working out areas is the tricky
bit for me. *I can do the maths but determining the areas of wall and roof
bearing down on to the lintel is where I come unstuck.
Thanks

mark

The lintel supports the triangle of masonary above it.
Just imagine the bit that would fall out if it wasn't there.
Work out the weight of that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Jun 13, 3:46 pm, "mark" wrote:

I am building over a flat roof garage ...
I need to put a cavity lintel over the front ...
There is a choice of standard or heavy duty.
Which one do I need? ...

won;t your Building Inspector want a say in this?

The BCO wants to see the lintel in place on her next visit.

If she is doing her job she will also want to have calculations to show that
your building is structurally sound. It is not her job to do those
calculations or to tell you what sort of lintel you need. It might be
acceptable for you to do the calculation yourself - I don't know - but
normally it is the job of a structural engineer. From the sound of it it
would be about ten minutes work for an engineer.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2011 17:07, Tim W wrote:
wrote in message
o.uk...

The BCO wants to see the lintel in place on her next visit.

If she is doing her job she will also want to have calculations to show that
your building is structurally sound. It is not her job to do those
calculations or to tell you what sort of lintel you need. It might be
acceptable for you to do the calculation yourself - I don't know - but
normally it is the job of a structural engineer. From the sound of it it
would be about ten minutes work for an engineer.

Tim W

From my (limited) experience of BCOs, they seem to have an in-built
sense of what of reasonable, and will only ask for calculations if you
want to do something which they regard as 'marginal'.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:47:19 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
wrote:

I think I understand what your saying but working out areas is the tricky
bit for me. I can do the maths but determining the areas of wall and roof
bearing down on to the lintel is where I come unstuck.
Thanks

That's the simple bit. How tall is the wall? Multiply by the width of
the opening. Do the floor joists bear onto this lintel (directly or
indirectly)? If so, take half their length ('cos they're supported at
both ends), and multiply by the width of the opening. Do the rafters
and ceiling joists bear onto this lintel? ...
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think I understand what your saying but working out areas is the tricky
bit for me. I can do the maths but determining the areas of wall and roof
bearing down on to the lintel is where I come unstuck.
Thanks

That's the simple bit. How tall is the wall? Multiply by the width of
the opening. Do the floor joists bear onto this lintel (directly or
indirectly)? If so, take half their length ('cos they're supported at
both ends), and multiply by the width of the opening. Do the rafters
and ceiling joists bear onto this lintel? ...
--

The floor joists run parallel to lintel so I presume have no bearing on the
lintel.

Thanks for bearing with me.

mark

Lintel or not? David WE Roberts[_2_] UK diy 4 March 9th 10 11:30 PM
8FT Lintel Arthur 51 UK diy 2 September 11th 09 04:09 PM
LINTEL SCAREY-B.HERE-ON-THE.NET UK diy 5 January 3rd 04 05:10 PM
lintel SCAREY-B.HERE-ON-THE.NET UK diy 8 December 29th 03 12:15 PM
lintel help please Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 September 6th 03 09:45 PM