Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark mark is offline

Default Lintel...which one?

"harry" wrote in message
On Jun 13, 3:46 pm, "mark" wrote:
I am building over a flat roof garage which has a cavity wall except for
the
front. Wall to be brick outer and block inner.
I need to put a cavity lintel over the front and this will be 3450mm long.
There is a choice of standard or heavy duty.

Which one do I need? The HD one is £200+ dearer than the standard. It's no
good asking the manufacturer as they just say have a structural eng.
decide.
So can anyone tell me a typical application for each grade of lintel?

Thanks

mark

If you only have a couple of rows of blocks over it, the light one
will be sufficient. If it is the full triangle you will need the heavy
one.

Very important.
Before you start piling blocks on a long metal beam, support it in the
middle off the ground with a bit of timber (4"X2"). Remove when the
cement has set.
If you don't do this, the beam will sag.

It will have a bedroom above, brick and block wall with a conventional tiled
roof. Wall will have a large window.

I'll remember the tip. Or maybe let it set for a few days before loading.

mark