Niel A. Farrow

Default lintel help please

I've just bought a 6x4 concrete lintel to be positioned above a window
(was a door) in the inner half of a solid 9" brick wall in my 150 year old
end terrace. I removed the plaster above the window and the bricks were
just hanging there! The outside half of the wall has the original stone
(?) lintel still in place. Was going to use 4x2 lintel but so many
bricks fell down a 6 x 4 can fit in easily now!

I got it home and found that one side is 6" and the side parallel to this
is slightly shorter than 6" so that the lintel has a taper. As I'll be
using it with the 4" side horizontal it leans over slightly, and so I'll
have to bed it on a wedge of cement and likewise have the bricks sitting
on it on a wedge of cement to keep everything level.

I phoned the place where I bought it and was told that they are made like
that to get them out of the mold.... we don't make them .... it's ok ..
They weren't convincing.

Is this ok, and if so, is there a preference for which way the taper
should go (6" side facing out into the room or facing the bricks?).

Thank you,

Neil
tim

"Niel A. Farrow" wrote in message ...
I've just bought a 6x4 concrete lintel to be positioned above a window
(was a door) in the inner half of a solid 9" brick wall in my 150 year old
end terrace. I removed the plaster above the window and the bricks were
just hanging there! The outside half of the wall has the original stone
(?) lintel still in place. Was going to use 4x2 lintel but so many
bricks fell down a 6 x 4 can fit in easily now!

I got it home and found that one side is 6" and the side parallel to this
is slightly shorter than 6" so that the lintel has a taper. As I'll be
using it with the 4" side horizontal it leans over slightly, and so I'll
have to bed it on a wedge of cement and likewise have the bricks sitting
on it on a wedge of cement to keep everything level.

I phoned the place where I bought it and was told that they are made like
that to get them out of the mold....

I was going to reply and tell you this was the reason,
but someone's already done it

we don't make them .... it's ok ..
They weren't convincing.

So you don't believe that is the reason then?

Is this ok, and if so, is there a preference for which way the taper
should go (6" side facing out into the room or facing the bricks?).

I think the parallel sides should be horizontal, not vertical (large side
down.) Not sure how you make good on the outside

Tim

Thank you,

Neil

Niel A. Farrow

In article ,
tim wrote:

[...]

I was told they can be used eihter way up - ie for one brick or two brick
widths - or else they would have to make two different 6 x 4 lintels?

I have a 2.5" x 4 and it's right angles all round.

Neil
Charles Lamont

I've just bought a 6x4 concrete lintel to be positioned above a window
(was a door) in the inner half of a solid 9" brick wall in my 150 year old
end terrace.

I think the parallel sides should be horizontal, not vertical (large side
down.) Not sure how you make good on the outside

I was told they can be used eihter way up - ie for one brick or two brick
widths - or else they would have to make two different 6 x 4 lintels?

Although it may not matter in this case, bear in mind that the load
capacity of a 6x4 on edge will be more than twice (actually 2.25 times)
as great as with it flat.

--
Charles Lamont

more surprises - rotten joist and no lintel! Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 August 15th 03 08:36 PM
Catnic Lintel, is this the right one? MikeT UK diy 2 August 4th 03 09:26 PM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 01:18 PM
Door lintel help please Icky UK diy 4 July 20th 03 03:48 PM