Icky

Default Door lintel help please

I'm considering breaking through the cavity breezeblock wall between my hall
and my garage and fitting an external door between them ( an external door
is required, I'm told ). This is one half of a project which also entails
fitting an automatic garage door opener. Could anyone please tell me about
the door lintel required? Would I need two lintels ( one each for the outer
and inner cavity walls ) or do they come wide enough for both walls? Can I
obtain something lighter than the concrete lintels I have seen up to now (
without sacrificing the strength required ) ? Can I fit the lintel by
cutting a lintel sized horizontal 'slot' in the wall, securing the lintel
into the slot, then cutting out the doorway below the lintel. Also, any tips
would be appreciated about keeping everything ( like, the rest of my house )
in place while cutting this slot / doorway to stop a collapse before the
lintel is in place and secure.

BigWallop

"Toby" wrote in message
the door lintel required? Would I need two lintels ( one each for the

outer
and inner cavity walls ) or do they come wide enough for both walls? Can

http://www.catnic.com/PDF/LITERATURE/LintelDSG.pdf

http://www.igltd.co.uk/downloads/IG_...chure_2003.pdf

Without stealing BigW's thunder ;-)

Toby.

LOL

Michael McNeil

"Icky" wrote in message ...
I'm considering breaking through the cavity breezeblock wall between my hall
and my garage and fitting an external door between them (an external door
is required, I'm told.)

You need a fire door not an external door. Make sure it is 1 hour
rated at least (but I'm not sure on that) and use intumescent strips
in the frame and a door closer. It is a garage you are letting into
your house. Somewhere that you store chemicals and put machinery
loaded with petrol. So use draught excluders too.

Also, any tips would be appreciated about keeping the rest of my house
in place while cutting this doorway.

Anything the wall is supporting will need proppng up. You can use
accro's or just 3X2's or whatever, under a cross piece (both sides).
You can use wood as a lintle too. It aught to be treated with
preservative or be a timber that is impervious to whatever. It is not
a good idea to use wood in a sealed wall though. Concrete is not that
heavy. Are you sure you are up to the job?

You might want to seal a section of the house off with polythene to
prevent dust. Keep doors and windows closed to stop through draughts
etc. If you start in the garage you can carry your debris out that
way.
duncan

and don't forget you will need building regs approval for this
and it will need to be inspected and signed off by the local BCO
(building control officer).

Not sure on the woodend lintel - the BCO if he's a nice chap, when he
visits (before you start) should be able to tell you the type of lintel to
use, although he
may insist that you engage a structural engineer to assess the size of
lintel.

duncan.

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
om...