John Armstrong

Default Door lintel help please

On 19 Jul 2003 22:15:45 -0700, (Michael
McNeil) wrote:

"Icky" wrote in message ...
I'm considering breaking through the cavity breezeblock wall between my hall
and my garage and fitting an external door between them (an external door
is required, I'm told.)

You need a fire door not an external door. Make sure it is 1 hour
rated at least (but I'm not sure on that) and use intumescent strips
in the frame and a door closer. It is a garage you are letting into
your house. Somewhere that you store chemicals and put machinery
loaded with petrol. So use draught excluders too.

Building regs only require a 30 minute fire door.
The bottom of the door opening should be at least 100mm above the
garage floor as well.
See paragraph 9.14 of
http://www.safety.odpm.gov.uk/bregs/pdf/br/17.pdf

--