Icky

Default Door lintel help please

I'm considering breaking through the cavity breezeblock wall between my hall
and my garage and fitting an external door between them ( an external door
is required, I'm told ). This is one half of a project which also entails
fitting an automatic garage door opener. Could anyone please tell me about
the door lintel required? Would I need two lintels ( one each for the outer
and inner cavity walls ) or do they come wide enough for both walls? Can I
obtain something lighter than the concrete lintels I have seen up to now (
without sacrificing the strength required ) ? Can I fit the lintel by
cutting a lintel sized horizontal 'slot' in the wall, securing the lintel
into the slot, then cutting out the doorway below the lintel. Also, any tips
would be appreciated about keeping everything ( like, the rest of my house )
in place while cutting this slot / doorway to stop a collapse before the
lintel is in place and secure.