Fridge thermostat adjustment

Old May 24th 11, 01:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge thermostat adjustment

Servis fridge. Always very cold and compressor on. Replaced thermostat,
same results!

There are two adjustments screws, a small brass one apparently moving
contacts and a larger screw working against a spring. Having fiddled with
these the fridge is better, but how do I adjust this properly?

Thanks,
Paul DS

Old May 24th 11, 07:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 12:46*pm, "Paul D Smith" wrote:
Servis fridge. *Always very cold and compressor on. *Replaced thermostat,
same results!

There are two adjustments screws, a small brass one apparently moving
contacts and a larger screw working against a spring. *Having fiddled with
these the fridge is better, but how do I adjust this properly?

Thanks,
Paul DS

One screw will be for the temp setting, the other to vary the
differential (or hysteresis) between switch on/switch off. (Ie to stop
it coming on and off too frequently)

Some fridge compressors don't like being started until the gas
pressures have equalised, so the differential needs to take this into
account.
Old May 25th 11, 09:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On May 24, 12:46 pm, "Paul D Smith" wrote:
Servis fridge. Always very cold and compressor on. Replaced thermostat,
same results!

There are two adjustments screws, a small brass one apparently moving
contacts and a larger screw working against a spring. Having fiddled
with
these the fridge is better, but how do I adjust this properly?

Thanks,
Paul DS

One screw will be for the temp setting, the other to vary the
differential (or hysteresis) between switch on/switch off. (Ie to stop
it coming on and off too frequently)

Some fridge compressors don't like being started until the gas
pressures have equalised, so the differential needs to take this into
account.

Thanks Harry - I believe the brass screw is the temp, and the one working
against the spring is the hysteresis. I'm guessing that tightening against
the spring increases the hysteresis - we'll see ;-).

Paul DS.

Old May 25th 11, 07:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul D Smith" wrote in message
"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Stats come preset, you really should not have to take them apart.
I trust the OP has secured the end of the capillary tube to the evaporator
plate?

Old May 25th 11, 08:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 6:02*pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:
"Paul D Smith" wrote in ...

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

True. But if it's not working one has to mess about. Usually they
have lost gas & any adjustment doesn't last. Bloody expensive they are
too.
Old May 25th 11, 08:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 8:15*am, "Paul D Smith" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

[...]

Paul DS.- Hide quoted text -

There are different ones for different numbers of "star" fridges/
freezers.
There are several gases which evaporate at different temperatures
too. All effects the setting of the stat.
Old May 25th 11, 09:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On May 25, 6:02 pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:
"Paul D Smith" wrote in

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

One should not have to mess about with a thermostat in a domestic unit. What
you are doing is very unusual.
I strongly suspect the stat is not the problem.
Trade a stat is a fiver and they do not lose vapour unless damaged.
How old is your fridge?
Is it a fridge or a fridge freezer.

Old May 26th 11, 02:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 8:22*pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On May 25, 6:02 pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

"Paul D Smith" wrote in

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

At teh end of the day, if you're getting the right temp in the fridge
and the compressor isnt trying multiple timse to start, I shouldnt
worry.

NT
Old May 26th 11, 09:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stats come preset, you really should not have to take them apart.
I trust the OP has secured the end of the capillary tube to the evaporator
plate?

Who said I took it apart :-) ? On this model of servis fridge, the
capillary is slid into a tube which descends into the bowls of the
fridge/freezer, never to be seen again. The old one slid out easily and
there was no hint of any clip etc.

As to the thermostat itself, it has some slots around the edges which is how
I can see the spring and both screws are exposed, presumably for adjustment.

Paul DS

Old May 26th 11, 05:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul D Smith" wrote in message
Stats come preset, you really should not have to take them apart.
I trust the OP has secured the end of the capillary tube to the
evaporator plate?

Who said I took it apart :-) ? On this model of servis fridge, the
capillary is slid into a tube which descends into the bowls of the
fridge/freezer, never to be seen again. The old one slid out easily and
there was no hint of any clip etc.

As to the thermostat itself, it has some slots around the edges which is
how I can see the spring and both screws are exposed, presumably for
adjustment.

Paul DS

Fixed it then have you?
Hmmm?