Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cupboard Door

I want to put a door, about H90cm x W40cm in a section of timber
stud/plasterboard, to give access for storage to the void behind. The
void is encased in insulation board, so it doesn't need to be the last
word in airtightness.

I keep thinking about doing it, looking, head scratching, but don't know
where to start. I've got lots of odd bits of timber for a frame, but I'm
not sure how to go about it all. I'm not completely clueless - I did put
the partition in, and have done quite a bit of mild joinery.

Any ideas please? A sort of scheme of work would be much appreciated!

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJH" wrote in message
I want to put a door, about H90cm x W40cm in a section of timber
stud/plasterboard, to give access for storage to the void behind. The void
is encased in insulation board, so it doesn't need to be the last word in
airtightness.

I keep thinking about doing it, looking, head scratching, but don't know
where to start. I've got lots of odd bits of timber for a frame, but I'm
not sure how to go about it all. I'm not completely clueless - I did put
the partition in, and have done quite a bit of mild joinery.

Any ideas please? A sort of scheme of work would be much appreciated!

find out how wide the centres of the studding are, this will be the width of
your opening, unless you want to cut the upright stud off, then it will be
twice this width, but if you wanted to, you could make a frame to suit.
Personally, I'd make it the width you've already got, which is likely to be
400mm.

Once you've decided what width you are having it, mark it out all the way
around and cut the plasterboard out using a stanley knife and an old saw,
don't go berserk but you don't need to be over-carefull as you can put
architrave around later.

Make and fit your frame.

Make and fit your door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 19:14:56 +0100, RJH wrote:

I want to put a door, about H90cm x W40cm in a section of timber
stud/plasterboard, to give access for storage to the void behind. The
void is encased in insulation board, so it doesn't need to be the last
word in airtightness.

I keep thinking about doing it, looking, head scratching, but don't know
where to start. I've got lots of odd bits of timber for a frame, but I'm
not sure how to go about it all. I'm not completely clueless - I did put
the partition in, and have done quite a bit of mild joinery.

Any ideas please? A sort of scheme of work would be much appreciated!

buy an access panel ?

steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 20:48:14 UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
"RJH" wrote in message
I want to put a door, about H90cm x W40cm in a section of timber
stud/plasterboard, to give access for storage to the void behind. The void
is encased in insulation board, so it doesn't need to be the last word in
airtightness.

I keep thinking about doing it, looking, head scratching, but don't know
where to start. I've got lots of odd bits of timber for a frame, but I'm
not sure how to go about it all. I'm not completely clueless - I did put
the partition in, and have done quite a bit of mild joinery.

Any ideas please? A sort of scheme of work would be much appreciated!

cut PB back to the stud each side
fit crosspieces top & bottom
fit planed timber as lining
fit door, door liner, catch

don't go berserk

spoilsport!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/14/2015 7:14 PM, RJH wrote:

I want to put a door, about H90cm x W40cm in a section of timber
stud/plasterboard, to give access for storage to the void behind. The

If you want to store stuff in the storage space, I would make it wider
than 40cm - else you will have difficulty getting anything worthwhile in
there!

void is encased in insulation board, so it doesn't need to be the last
word in airtightness.

I keep thinking about doing it, looking, head scratching, but don't know
where to start. I've got lots of odd bits of timber for a frame, but I'm
not sure how to go about it all. I'm not completely clueless - I did put
the partition in, and have done quite a bit of mild joinery.

Any ideas please? A sort of scheme of work would be much appreciated!

Decide roughly where you want it. Make a hole though the wall somewhere
in the proposed door space. This will let you see where the studs are,
and mark out where to cut the plasterboard. You want the left hand edge
cut flush to the right side of a stud, and the right side cut flush to
the left of a stud 2 over to the right from the first (so your gap will
be twice the stud spacing - typically 800mm ish). Cut the top about 1"
higher than where you want the top of the door.

Now cut out the middle stud, and chop the top off behind the
plasterboard about 2" higher than the cut you made in the top of the
plasterboard. You can now use the bit you just cut out to trim to length
and put back a horizontal timber to make the top of the door way. It
will also give you something to fix the top of the cut stud back to. A
bit like the header above the door in the picture he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...rs_.2F_Windows

Once done you should have an opening looking like:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...dyForFrame.png

Now you can fit a door lining (aka door frame):

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ameInPlace.png

Then just follow the steps to fit the door:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ing_the_lining

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2015 03:36, John Rumm wrote:
On 7/14/2015 7:14 PM, RJH wrote:

[...]

Splendid - thanks very much indeed.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/14/2015 7:14 PM, RJH wrote:

[...]

Just one thought which occurred to me. If you make the opening two studs
wide, as suggested by others, it may look better - and wouldn't take up
as much room space with the door(s) open - if you were to make a pair of
half-width doors rather than a single wide door.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Making a cupboard door PAJ UK diy 16 October 23rd 14 08:47 PM
Dustbin cupboard door butterfly Woodworking 1 January 19th 07 04:48 PM
Cupboard Door Q N. Thornton UK diy 2 September 24th 03 10:44 PM
Kitchen cupboard door fittings Stuart UK diy 13 July 7th 03 02:34 PM