Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Cupboard Door

"RJH" wrote in message
I want to put a door, about H90cm x W40cm in a section of timber
stud/plasterboard, to give access for storage to the void behind. The void
is encased in insulation board, so it doesn't need to be the last word in
airtightness.

I keep thinking about doing it, looking, head scratching, but don't know
where to start. I've got lots of odd bits of timber for a frame, but I'm
not sure how to go about it all. I'm not completely clueless - I did put
the partition in, and have done quite a bit of mild joinery.

Any ideas please? A sort of scheme of work would be much appreciated!

find out how wide the centres of the studding are, this will be the width of
your opening, unless you want to cut the upright stud off, then it will be
twice this width, but if you wanted to, you could make a frame to suit.
Personally, I'd make it the width you've already got, which is likely to be
400mm.

Once you've decided what width you are having it, mark it out all the way
around and cut the plasterboard out using a stanley knife and an old saw,
don't go berserk but you don't need to be over-carefull as you can put
architrave around later.

Make and fit your frame.

Make and fit your door.