Andrew Welham

Default Hot Point Washing Machine main bearing failed

Dear All

This is slightly off topic , but this seems the best news group. I have
an almost 2 years old hotpoint wma34 washing machine, which has been
making loud grinding noises especially when spinning. Its is the bearing
on the main drum failed. Following a little research this is a common
fault(in the entire WMA series) in which the water gets into the bearing
and washes out the grease. Hotpoint want to charge me for a the labor
for what i consider a design flaw.

I have three main questions

Any one else had similar problems and solutions (except paying for the
repair).

Does any one have any names / phone number for internal people at
hotpoint especially people like the Customer services director ?

What washing machines are recommend for both function and reliability i
have been told the bosch 2063 is a good one .. any comments ?

Kind Regards

Andrew

Jay

"Andrew Welham" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

--------------------

My AEG is 11 years old and still going strong!! Not bad considering I have
two children and one of them is sports mad, football, cricket, golf, etc. On
the average, I do two washes a day and sometimes three or four.

Rich

Hotpoint's have always been prone to bearings going not in say 2 years but
it depends how much you put in it and how much you use it!!!!!!!! we had a
Hotpoint and has had 2 sets of bearings in 10 years but was always noisy. so
now its gone and we have a Siemans machine and it is almost silent even when
loaded up on spin whish we had it years ago best of all it comes with a 5
year parts and labour g/tee.

Rich

[...]

stuart noble

Andrew Welham wrote in message
.. .
Dear All

This is slightly off topic , but this seems the best news group. I have
an almost 2 years old hotpoint wma34 washing machine, which has been
making loud grinding noises especially when spinning. Its is the bearing
on the main drum failed.

Sure it's not the pump?

Graeme

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:25:57 +0100, Andrew Welham
wrote:

[...]

Used to have a Hotpoint, but when it got to the stage that I had
replaced most of the parts including the main bearing We finaly got a
new one and went for a Bosch Maxx, had it now for 3 years and no
trouble very quiet and as we have two young girls it gets used a lot.

impvan

Yes it's a design flaw, and no, I doubt you'll get anywhere. But
given that the bits are cheap and Hpt's callout, which you have to pay
under their extended warranty, is somewhere around 80 quid, then
you'll probably save money by getting in a local bod, and paying parts
and labour. And you'll have the satisfaction of paying no more money
to hotpoint.

Many of the newer hotpoint models are not true hotpoints, and are
rebadged italian stuff. FWIW the bearing assembly on the 1400-spin
hpts is the same as what Zanussi retired on their 1000-spin machines
pre-FL series.
SPG

Our 12yr old Hotpoint Aquarius suffered the same fate last weekend
(suppose I shouldn't complain really!). I guessed it was the bearings
and with the help from a Haynes manual managed to take the drum out.
The back of the drum was a complete mess, rusty soapy gunge everywhere
with loose ball-bearings and a cracked drum spider arm etc. Couldn't
remove the bearings and decided the machine was past it.

When I was checking out the feasibility of repir (local spares shop
had the bearings for £20) I was told that to get a repair man to do it
would cost £100 so decided it was best to invest in a new machine.

Have since read a few forums and it seems there is definately a
problem with Hotpoint bearings but I guess 12yrs is OK (esp with 3
girls & 2 washes per day)

After a bit of research (Which?) decided on a Bosch Classixx 2063 (Max
spin=1000rpm). It was a similar, slightly higher spec, machine which
came out top for ease of use, performance and should be reliable. I
reckon it is a mistake to run machines at more than 1000rpm because of
the extra stress on the bearings and other bits.

Miele are maybe the best but are twice the price. Bosch 2063 should do
the trick.
BigWallop

"SPG" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Would you believe that, between a 1000 rpm spin and a 1100 rpm spin, the
difference in the amount of water taken out of the clothes is a measly
tablespoon full. The full spin speed, on any machine, only last for a few
seconds, so the amount of pressure put on the clothes to extract the water
does not last long enough to make any significant difference in the amount
extracted.

If the full spin speed were to last anything up to a minute, which would be
the ideal spin time, either the drum bearings would heat and burn out after
only 12 spins, or the motor bearing would only last for a maximum running
time under load at top speed of only 48 hours.

Ain't it amazing what troubles friction, weight and centrifugal forces
cause.

:-) just thought I'd throw in another piece of useless information.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

N. Thornton

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...
"SPG" wrote in message
om...

[...]

I went from a 1000rpm machine to 1300, and the difference was
enormous. I haven't need to use a dryer since. Got rid of the dryer
altogether. So I'd say high spin speed is well worth it. Even if its
12 secs or whatever, it does work.

I once had a yucky 600rpm spin one as a temporary machine, and there
is a lot of difference. Drying stuff from that was a looong job.

Regards, NT
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:
Would you believe that, between a 1000 rpm spin and a 1100 rpm spin, the
difference in the amount of water taken out of the clothes is a measly
tablespoon full. The full spin speed, on any machine, only last for a few
seconds, so the amount of pressure put on the clothes to extract the water
does not last long enough to make any significant difference in the amount
extracted.

The force on the water is proportional to the square of the rpm,
so a small speed increase can make a disproportionately large
effect on the amount of water removed, but has an equally large
increase in the strain placed on the drum. My Hotpoint spins at
1400 rpm for what seems like a couple of minutes. After that
you can remove a towel and whilst it will feel damp like it was
used just recently, it is dry enough to use to dry your hands on.

If the full spin speed were to last anything up to a minute, which would be
the ideal spin time, either the drum bearings would heat and burn out after
only 12 spins, or the motor bearing would only last for a maximum running
time under load at top speed of only 48 hours.

This Hotpoint has been spinning at 1400 rpm regularly, is something
like 15 years old, and is still on its first drum bearing.

--
Andrew Gabriel