Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonni

Default Goldtrowel

Never done any plastering before but I am thinking of attending one of
the courses at www.goldtrowel.org

I don't pretend I'll instantly become an expert plasterer, and I know
practice makes perfect and all that but does anyone here have any
experience of this crew?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gary Cavie

In article ,
says...
Never done any plastering before but I am thinking of attending one of
the courses at
www.goldtrowel.org

I don't pretend I'll instantly become an expert plasterer, and I know
practice makes perfect and all that but does anyone here have any
experience of this crew?

Thanks

I have no experience of any of these courses, but a friend who is a
plasterer went to do a quote for somebody. This somebody had been on one
of these courses (not necessarily Goldtrowel), and said that during the
5 days they covered tacking, coving, screeding, and about 2 hours of
actual plastering, which left him feeling somewhat done. I don't know
who he did the course with, or if they are all the same, but certainly
from this one it doesn't sound as though you would have learned much
about plastering itself!

Might be as well off finding a friendly plasterer, and seeing if you can
tag along with him for a few days - you'll probably learn as much if not
more! (You might even get paid a few quid for labouring if you're
lucky!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

the courses at www.goldtrowel.org

I don't pretend I'll instantly become an expert plasterer, and I know
practice makes perfect and all that but does anyone here have any
experience of this crew?

Thanks

Hope you have a strong neck and back. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

the courses at www.goldtrowel.org

I don't pretend I'll instantly become an expert plasterer, and I know
practice makes perfect and all that but does anyone here have any
experience of this crew?

Thanks

Hope you have a strong neck and back. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Years ago, during school holidays, I used to do dry lining for my next door
neighbour and all the seasoned old hairy arsed builders generally used to
consider plastering to be the "ardest job on site".

That's certainly been enough to put me off it for the past 25 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Barnes

I have no experience of any of these courses, but a friend who is a
plasterer went to do a quote for somebody. This somebody had been on one
of these courses (not necessarily Goldtrowel), and said that during the
5 days they covered tacking, coving, screeding, and about 2 hours of
actual plastering, which left him feeling somewhat done. I don't know
who he did the course with, or if they are all the same, but certainly
from this one it doesn't sound as though you would have learned much
about plastering itself!

This is not the case with Goldtrowel, plenty of time is given to plastering.
I bought their DVD and a good Marshalltown trowel (£40) and can now plaster
to a near perfect finish.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

the courses at www.goldtrowel.org

I don't pretend I'll instantly become an expert plasterer, and I know
practice makes perfect and all that but does anyone here have any
experience of this crew?

I did a 2-day course at the Aldershot Building Centre (?IIRC),
part of Farnborough College of Technology. It was brilliant.
All 16 of us were plastering better than the 2 plasterers I
had hired a few months before. I've done loads since too.
The course covered plastering and rendering, and if you
were interested in special finishes such as pebbledash, you
could do that too. The second half day covered patch/repair
techniques for things like filling in a chase, repairing a
lath and plaster ceiling, etc. The course was quite flexible
and could be adapted to any particular things people wanted
to cover.

Aldershot Building Centre did a 2 day course (occasionally
it ran over a weekend, but mostly during the week), a 5 day
course, and the full C&G course. They had a waiting list of
a year, but I got in sooner by saying I could take a place
at a day's notice. I believe the building training has moved
to another site now, so arrangements may be different. I also
suspect they may have lost their trainer, as the same chap
did the bricklaying course, and I've been on their list for
this for 6 months and they haven't even got any dates
scheduled yet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Andrew Barnes wrote:
I have no experience of any of these courses, but a friend who is a
plasterer went to do a quote for somebody. This somebody had been on
one of these courses (not necessarily Goldtrowel), and said that
during the 5 days they covered tacking, coving, screeding, and about
2 hours of actual plastering, which left him feeling somewhat done.
I don't know who he did the course with, or if they are all the
same, but certainly from this one it doesn't sound as though you
would have learned much about plastering itself!

This is not the case with Goldtrowel, plenty of time is given to
plastering. I bought their DVD and a good Marshalltown trowel (£40)
and can now plaster to a near perfect finish.

Andrew

I started a couple of years ago with own tuition and a £3.99 trowel, and
can now plaster to a perfect finish.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonni

Thanks for all the feedback.

I note what was said about others not providing much actual plastering
time but it seems that the Goldtrowel crowd give you some material
beforehand so that you are ready just straight into the practical stuff
when you arrive!

Think I'll go for the DVDs first, then have a go at it

Jonni
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastering Courses Goldtrowel

I have done 2 courses at Goldtrowel. I actually visited them spoke to
students on their courses to get a feel for what they do. They have 3
Centres at the same Location and believe me it's fantastic. I did 6 weeks on
a City and Guilds plastering course and the 5 day venetian marble plastering
course. You are full on hands on all the way through the courses. Andy is a
top fella knows his stuff and makes sure that you get to the right level. I
am confident and I felt that's what I needed. Have done many jobs now and
now self employed.By the way I actually went to many centres but they don't
offer what Goldtrowel do,I think it's because they are dedicated and only do
trowel trades. I thoroughly recommend them to anyone interested in changing
career or trying something different.

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/139110393.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

is this an advert?

You need to ask? It's another moron attempting to disguise his adverts
as unsolicited testimonial. I'd quite like to make sure that no one
could ever solicit his testimonials, using a pair of bricks for the
process.

report abuse to www.virginmedia.com/netreport
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K writes:

is this an advert?

Well, it's been canceled now, and would have vanished from
sight had you not reposted the whole thing.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 July, 16:30, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
Jim K writes:

is this an advert?

Well, it's been canceled now, and would have vanished from
sight had you not reposted the whole thing.

if only everything worked as God intended ;)