Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fibre or rubber washers?

Hi,

I see Tool station sell rubber and fibre washers:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2703/p99026
and
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2703/p85591

is one better than the other?

My instinct is that rubber would be longer lasting?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

I see Tool station sell rubber and fibre washers:

is one better than the other?

My instinct is that rubber would be longer lasting?

Different materials with different properties for different applications.
It depends what you want to use the washer for.

If there is a lot of clamping pressure on the washer, the fibre washer would
be best. The rubber washer would be extruded and destroyed.

I would expect fibre washers to have the longer life for a given, suitable
application.

--
Spike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

I see Tool station sell rubber and fibre washers:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2703/p99026
and
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2703/p85591

is one better than the other?

My instinct is that rubber would be longer lasting?

Fibre washers are used in tap connectors & some washing machine hoses
because the fibre swells up when wetted & seals better.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:19:49 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Fibre washers are used in tap connectors & some washing machine hoses
because the fibre swells up when wetted & seals better.

Thanks. I knew than fibre washers like these are used in tap
connectors:

and ones like these are used in flexible hoses:

but never knew why until now, thanks for explaining.

BTW I put the links above because I didn't know how else to describe
the two. The O shape of fibre is wider on the second.

I was wondering whether I would need to fit one of the wider (second
link) ones, inside one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/38542...Coupler-15mm-x

Is it necessary? Will it weep without one? Or will a good wrap of ptfe
tape make everything ok?

The other reply says rubber will be squashed under compression, so I
guess fibre is always better? I have only seen rubber, never fibre, in
washing machine hoses but then I don't see as many as you do.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

and ones like these are used in flexible hoses:http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...54566&ts=20980

link) ones, inside one of these:https://www.screwfix.com/prods/38542...on-Fittings/Fl...

Is it necessary? Will it weep without one? Or will a good wrap of ptfe
tape make everything ok?

The other reply says rubber will be squashed under compression, so I
guess fibre is always better? I have only seen rubber, never fibre, in
washing machine hoses but then I don't see as many as you do.

Thanks.

Last year I think it was I fitted a replacement fibre washer to a
dripping plumbing connection, and despite repeated attempts with gloop
and a few different washers it simply would not seal. I was far from
confident that a rubber one would be strong enough, but by now was
willing to try it. Worked perfectly first time. So don't get too hung
up on what you 'should' use, its best to have both in stock.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Fibre washers are used in tap connectors & some washing machine hoses
because the fibre swells up when wetted & seals better.

Thanks. I knew than fibre washers like these are used in tap
connectors:

and ones like these are used in flexible hoses:

but never knew why until now, thanks for explaining.

BTW I put the links above because I didn't know how else to describe
the two. The O shape of fibre is wider on the second.

I was wondering whether I would need to fit one of the wider (second
link) ones, inside one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/38542...Coupler-15mm-x

Is it necessary? Will it weep without one? Or will a good wrap of ptfe
tape make everything ok?

I reckon it would need one.

The other reply says rubber will be squashed under compression, so I
guess fibre is always better? I have only seen rubber, never fibre, in
washing machine hoses but then I don't see as many as you do.

Most WMH have rubber, but some have fibre. I carry both & replace like for
like.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:29:36 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I carry both

Just as NT said. If it's good enough for the two of you, that's what I
will do also. Thanks.

Outside tap - fibre washers? Part timer UK diy 5 May 15th 08 09:42 AM
Fibre Washers John UK diy 13 July 31st 07 06:50 PM
PC sized fibre washers? T i m UK diy 11 August 5th 06 11:39 PM
Tap Connectors Fibre Washers always leak eventually? tinklemagoo UK diy 14 September 6th 05 11:40 AM
Suppliers of rubber washers? Michael Kilpatrick UK diy 4 January 26th 05 05:36 PM